[Libs-Or] Come to Censorship by Omission (Multnomah County Library event)

Azalea Ebbay azaleae at multco.us
Mon Sep 14 13:44:21 PDT 2015

Hello!

We would like to invite you and any interested people you know to attend a
free Banned Books Week event, Censorship by Omission
<https://multcolib.org/events/censorship-omission-diversity-deficit/46262>,
at Multnomah County Library.

This year for Banned Books Week <http://www.ala.org/bbooks/bannedbooksweek>
the library is focusing on diversity, an issue raised by the We Need
Diverse Books campaign <http://weneeddiversebooks.org/>. Every year the
American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom gathers data
on efforts to remove or censor books in public libraries throughout the
country. The author Malinda Lo found that 52% of challenged or banned books
<http://www.diversityinya.com/2014/09/book-challenges-suppress-diversity/>
over the last decade were written by people of color or addressed diverse
content. The Office for Intellectual Freedom’s analysis found that 80% of
book challenges in 2014
<http://www.ala.org/news/sites/ala.org.news/files/content/0415_StateAmLib_0.pdf>
involved books with diverse content.

We are hosting a panel discussion featuring Stacey Lee, Isabel Quintero,
Tess Sharpe, and Swati Avasthi. The authors will discuss issues facing
diverse books, the importance of having narratives that reflect a reader’s
identity and experiences, and more.

The event will occur on Saturday, October 3, 2-3:30 pm, at Midland Library
(805 SE 122nd Ave, Portland, OR 97233).

Attached if a flier for our event.

Thank you,

Azalea