[Libs-Or] Library square footage

Sara Trott sara.trott at ccrls.org
Fri Mar 18 12:23:12 PDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I received an email from one of our City Council member in Lyons, Oregon,
and I need your help to answer it.  Lyons is a small, rural town of about
1100 people about 45 minutes from Salem, Oregon.  Here is the message he
sent me:

Sara

I’m in need of your expertise – in a perfect world new building with ADA
single floor big open space to design as needed what is the minimum square
footage needed for a library in Lyons?

I’m assuming the old church is not a very efficient design for a library
and that it’s not an accurate reflection of size needed.

Also what is the future for libraries print vs electronic media does that
change the space requirements??

We currently use an old church building that is not ADA complaint, so a new
library building would be very nice.  We have six computers and Wi-Fi
access for the public, but not tablets.  Where do I start looking for
information to answer his questions?  What has been your experience?

Thank you so much for your help!  I appreciate it!

Sara Trott

Assistant Librarian

Lyons Public Library

Lyons, Oregon