[Libs-Or] Join Us March 10 for Two Free and Online Sessions Covering Mindfulness and Soft Skills

nicole.purviance at sjsu.edu nicole.purviance at sjsu.edu
Thu Mar 5 12:12:08 PST 2020

Next Tuesday, March 10, is going to be a busy day for learning. The San Jose
State University School of Information presents two online events you won't
want to miss! The first is a webinar on mindfulness as part of the Diversity
Webinar Series
<https://ischool.sjsu.edu/news/2020-diversity-webinar-series-presents-eight-
free-sessions-diverse-topics-diverse-speakers> . Immediately following the
webinar, the Library 2.020 web conference
<https://ischool.sjsu.edu/library-20-virtual-conferences>  kicks off a
three-hour discussion on the topic of Wholehearted Libraries: Soft Skills
for 21st Century Information Professionals. Both sessions are free to attend
and will be recorded.

What is Mindfulness, Anyway? [Diversity Webinar Series]

Everyone's talking about it as a way to de-stress, be more productive, and
improve mental health. It's now a billion-dollar business that includes
corporate trainings, apps, products, and online courses. but what actually
is mindfulness, anyway? This webinar will examine the recent popularity of
mindfulness in Western society, as well as its history and tradition as a
Buddhist spiritual practice. What parts of mindfulness have been embraced
and adopted by our culture, and which portions have been ignored? What do
its proponents rave about, and what do its critics argue? Is mindfulness a
cultural movement, or is it a fad? Is it a spiritual endeavor, or an
intellectual one? Is it political or apolitical, activist or apathetic? Is
it an example of globalization, or is it cultural appropriation? These are
some of the questions that will arise during the exploration of this topic.
You'll come away with a greater understanding of mindfulness, be able to
detangle the ongoing conversations surrounding it, and perhaps develop a
curiosity to learn more!

Individuals requiring real-time captioning/closed captions or other
accommodations should contact Sue Alman
<https://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/email/email.php?fname=Sue&lname=Alman>  as
soon as possible.