[Libs-Or] Why is it called "placing a hold" and is there a better phrase that you use?

Bryan Miyagishima miyagib at linnbenton.edu
Tue Dec 7 10:10:32 PST 2021

This question definitely falls into the non-urgent category. Still, it got
me wondering enough that I thought I'd pose it to the Borg.

We're beginning to use our ILS for students to make equipment reservations
for next term and I'm trying to come up with language to help explain the
process to students. It seems to me that for the one transaction that many
students will have with our library it doesn't make any sense to use
library jargon. Moreover, we actually use "place hold" in a very negative
way here at the college; our business office sends out communiques that
say, "we will place a hold on your account if you do not pay by X date."

Does anyone actually know the origins of "placing a hold," and, how do you
like to explain it to patrons when all your ILS buttons and documentation
say "place hold?"

Hope you're having a great Tuesday!

Bryan Miyagishima, Linn-Benton Community College Library