[Libs-Or] OLA/OIFC Statement on Materials Challenges

OLA President olapresident at olaweb.org
Mon Dec 13 13:58:27 PST 2021

As OLA President, I would like to draw your attention to our recent
statement
<https://ola.memberclicks.net/assets/Communications/2021-22_communications/OLA-OIFC_Statement.pdf>
regarding attempts to remove materials from libraries that focus on
LGBTQIA+ issues and books by Black authors or that document the Black
experience or the experiences of other BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People
of Color) individuals. This statement comes from the OLA and the Oregon
Intellectual Freedom Committee (OIFC), with input and support from the OLA
EDI and Antiracism Committee.

Here is the direct link to the full statement:
https://ola.memberclicks.net/assets/Communications/2021-22_communications/OLA-OIFC_Statement.pdf

Excerpts:
"OLA and OIFC condemn the use of intimidation and extralegal means aimed at
censorship which are antithetical to ALA’s Freedom to Read statements. We
fully support parents' involvement in education and guidance in media
selections for their own children, but we stand firmly behind our Library
Bill of Rights and the Freedom to Read statements, and against parental
overreach actions which violate the First Amendment rights and dignity of
others."

"OLA and OIFC reaffirm the ALA Statement on Book Censorship and support all
Oregon libraries in their efforts to protect materials from censorship,
especially the voices of the oppressed."

Please share widely and remember to visit the Intellectual Freed
Committee's website <https://www.olaweb.org/if-home> and the Oregon
Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse <https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/oifc>
for more information and contacts who can offer support if you experience a
materials challenge in your community.

Arlene Weible
Oregon Library Association President, 2021-2022
olapresident at olaweb.org