[Libs-Or] REQUEST - Quick survey about Barriers to Challenge Reporting / Reminder to Report intellectual freedom challenges

Perry Stokes director at bakerlib.org
Fri Jan 21 16:36:22 PST 2022

Dear library colleagues,

An "unprecedented" number of challenges were submitted last year, according
to staff at the ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom
<https://www.ala.org/aboutala/offices/oif> . Even so, we're wondering - are
we missing any? Are there any improvements to be made in the reporting
process?

Today (or by 2/20/22), please take a few minutes to give us feedback about
the challenge reporting process with this Barriers to Challenge Reporting
Survey <https://forms.gle/pQhaEFn9ZaDFRJry7>  .

The forecast of challenges this year is for more intensity and frequency
through the 2022 midterm election. So, it's important to us at the OLA
Intellectual Freedom Committee that the information, guidance, resources and
procedures we provide are the best they can be.

Whether you've had challenges or not, your participation in this brief
survey will help us refine our anti-censorship tools and skills. Thank you
in advance for taking a few minutes to click through it.

ALSO -- In 2021, has your library or school received.

*	A complaint about a display or exhibit? (including virtual ones)
*	A request to cancel a program? (including virtual ones)
*	A book with hateful comments or drawings inside, or profanity marked
out?
*	A complaint or formal challenge seeking restriction or removal of an
item in your library's collection? (including digital items)

There is still time to R <https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/oifc/report>
EPORT such incidents - and any other intellectual freedom challenges - to
the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse
<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/oifc/home> ! The more information we
have, the better picture we can paint about the intellectual freedom
landscape in Oregon.

The OIFC will then submit these to ALA
<http://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport> 's Office for Intellectual
Freedom (OIF) - minus any personal or institutional information - in support
of their effort to raise awareness and respond to censorship threats by
creating resources for libraries.

Questions? Contact any one of us.

---------------------------------

Perry Stokes (he/him), M.L.I.S.

Co-Chair, OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee

Director, Baker County Library District

director at bakerlib.org <mailto:director at bakerlib.org>  | (541) 523-6419 |
www.bakerlib.org <http://www.bakerlib.org>

Emily O'Neal, M.L.S.

Co-Chair, OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee

Technical Services Manager, Deschutes Public Library

emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org <mailto:emilyo at deschuteslibrary.org>  | (541)
617-7061 | http://www.deschuteslibrary.org
<http://www.deschuteslibrary.org/>

Tamara Ottum (she/her)

Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse Coordinator

https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/oifc

State Library of Oregon | Library Support & Development Services

tamara.ottum at slo.oregon.gov <mailto:tamara.ottum at slo.oregon.gov>  |
503-378-6506 <tel:%20(503)%20378-6506>  | www.oregon.gov/library
<http://www.oregon.gov/library>