[Libs-Or] Closures?

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Fri Jan 28 08:29:09 PST 2022

Normally I wouldn't send this email to Libs-Or in the reply, but I think it's warranted here.

I should have spoken up more during the meeting yesterday (big surprise!) but since I neglected to do it then, let me remedy that now: You're balancing the needs of the library, your staff, the city, and the entire Lincoln County community and coming to exactly the right conclusion.

And your staff (and, based on feedback, the patrons) definitely have your back.

>From the LCPH report:

"As of today, 1,680 positive cases have been reported in the county for January, almost double the previous peak month." There are far more cases than ever before.

"the health care system locally and statewide is dealing with the overload of patients." 'Overload of Patients' is not just a cool band name.

"The Oregon Health Authority is contracting for several hundred clinical staff positions statewide, and members of the state’s National Guard are being made available to help hospitals fill non-clinical positions. Ogden indicated North Lincoln and Samaritan Pacific Communities are requesting help through both channels. Although 96 percent of staff at the two hospitals are fully vaccinated, many are developing breakthrough cases of COVD, though they’re mild for the most part." Gondor The entire Lincoln County Healthcare System calls for aid because they are, once again, getting stretched to the max which means patient care is in trouble and staff are being overworked...again.

We're still serving patrons with curbside service, computer access, wifi access, reference help, and programming. We're serving our community by temporarily closing the library building to help curb the spread of a virus during an "ongoing here comes year three" worldwide pandemic that is currently spiking worse than it ever has before. We're all very happy you're in charge making the tough, correct choices.

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1261  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org<mailto:mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org>
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org

ook

We made the call here at Driftwood to close this week due to the spike in COVID cases in the area. I've just made the call to extend through February 5th, and I'm REALLY hoping OHSU is correct that cases will spike and then decline in the coming week.

Anyone else gone back to curbside? Thus far my community has been supportive, but it's hard not to feel a little alarmist when so many establishments are conducting business as usual.

 [1529519400927_PastedImage]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
LIBRARY DIRECTOR
__

P: 541.996.1251  |  E: kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org