[Libs-Or] Anti-racist communities of practice resource

Emily Ford fordemily at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 08:48:48 PST 2022

Hi Folks,
Following the conversation here from Matthew, Taylor, and Brittany, I would
like to point out a resource from the 2020 Critical Library & Pedagogy
Symposium <https://clps.arizona.edu/registration-schedule>. I will quote
the blurb below, which includes a link to a ~30 minute video discussion of
a white affinity group anti-racist community of practice.

As a result of my participation in this session at the symposium I've been
participating in a community of three white librarians for the past two
years, where we come together to discuss anti-racism work, do
troubleshooting, etc. It has been hugely beneficial to my personal and
professional growth.

I offer this as an example of white librarians taking on the work in
community to establish and create meaningful dialogue, respectful feedback,
and a shared sense of responsibility for furthering anti-racism.

Best,
Emily

*10:30-11:30 am – Addressing white supremacy in librarianship through
communities of practice (Lindsey Shively, Diablo Valley College; Reed
Garber-Pearson, University of Washington; Lia Friedman, University of
California at San Diego; & Althea Lazzaro, Seattle Central College)*

* This recording will share the process of a group of white library workers
who convened a virtual community of practice to engage critically,
vulnerably, and personally with racism and whiteness in our work. In
sharing our practice thus far, we aim to organize other white library
workers into critical reflection and action towards anti-racist
transformation in libraries. This recording will problematize our approach
and look critically at our tendency to center and laud the voices of white
people engaging in anti-racist practice, while appropriating the labor of
librarians of color. We will surface the self-affirming behaviors we as
white people often fall into while doing this work, and offer suggestions
about how to hold one another and ourselves accountable to our commitment
to anti-racist librarianship. CLPS participants will watch the recording
about our work, and then during the hour we will answer questions and
discuss white supremacy in libraries, with the intention of building
relationships for people to create their own communities of practice. We
intend to curate the small groups to address different levels of interest
and exposure to topics of anti-racism. While this session is intended for
white people who want to engage in the work of critically examining
whiteness in libraries, all are welcome. For the best experience, please
print out and assemble this zine
<https://clps.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/CLAPS2020_Zine.pdf>[this link
is broken] if you are able to. Folks can also request a print copy from the
presenters. View pre-recording <https://youtu.be/Jfa2MiJkT_c>*