[Libs-Or] Bilingual Language Incentive/Differential Pay

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Wed May 4 11:08:32 PDT 2022

About a week ago I asked for info about bilingual pay in Oregon libraries. I got lots of responses, so thank you!

After talking with a couple of people, it seems that bilingual pay for employees is a big thing in union contract negotiations this year. Woot!

So, to gather info in a place where anybody could access it and use it to maybe help convince the various powers that be to include bilingual pay to employees, I went to the Oregon AFSCME site (https://www.oregonafscme.org/) and peeked at the contracts (https://www.oregonafscme.org/locals-and-contracts) to see which OR governments were doing it and how much they were paying. The result is below.

Caveats about the list below:

- I blew through the contracts over a two day period, so I may have (read: definitely) missed some pertinent info.

- I only included city and county contracts because 1) Most of us are city or county employees (sorry all you wonderful SLO folk), and 2) It seemed like EVERY state contract I looked at had bilingual differentials, so if you want to know what the state folk are doing, pick a contract, any contract, and you'll probably find bilingual (and maybe multilingual - thanks for pointing that out, Buzzy!) pay differential.

- Please forgive sloppiness, general spreadsheet ugliness, and all spelling errors.

Here's the list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Uto5W3OPuc8ZHQJurpRdkAj1CVjw2DQhvoTWOyEmEZQ/edit?usp=sharing

Have a wonderful day, all.

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1261  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org<mailto:mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org>
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org

ook

Library staff here are beginning to talk to union representatives about upcoming contract negotiations and, given the greater skill needed for the work, we'd like to be sure that official library/city bilingual work is compensated at a higher rate of pay through incentive or differential pay. We'd appreciate any examples of job descriptions/ads that  your library or city might already have in place to help us get this going.

Thank you in advance for any help you send our way!

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__