[Libs-Or] Fwd: [REFORMANET] Two upcoming "Your Voices" webinars! Sept 26 and Nov 15

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:13:07 PDT 2022

FYI

Max

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michele A. L. Villagran <michele.villagran at sjsu.edu>
Date: Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 8:44 AM
Subject: [REFORMANET] Two upcoming "Your Voices" webinars! Sept 26 and Nov
15
To: <REFORMANet at googlegroups.com>

Extending these to our REFORMA friends! Two upcoming webinars!Visual
Literacy in Terms of Cultural Connotations
SEPTEMBER 26, 2022 - 10:00AM - 11:00AM LESLEY FARMER
<https://ischool.sjsu.edu/speaker/lesley-farmer>

Please join the SJSU School of Information for a webcast covering
diversity, visual literacy and cultural literacy. Dr. Lesley Farmer is our
guest speaker.

*Abstract:* In the area of globalization, societies increasingly use visual
arts to communicate and teach. This presentation explains universal and
culturally-defined aspects of visual literacy in light of cultural arts. In
the process, it signals the importance of understanding cultural
differences to appreciate cultural visual values and minimize culture
clashes. It then discusses the role that librarians play to embrace
cultural arts and visual literacy, both in terms of resources as well as
instruction.

Please register in advance to attend this webcast:
https://sjsu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Diu_u8QRSoi9CfsNqHrdNQ

More details:
https://ischool.sjsu.edu/webcasts/visual-literacy-terms-cultural-connotations

Save the date for the second *Your Voices* webcast:
>From Lady Bountiful to Librarian Cute: Tracing Race and Gender in LIS
NOVEMBER 15, 2022 - 10:00AM - 11:00AM GINA SCHLESSELMAN-TARANGO, MSS, MLIS
<https://ischool.sjsu.edu/speaker/gina-schlesselman-tarango-mss-mlis>

Please join the SJSU School of Information for a Your Voices
Diversity webcast. Gina Schlesselman-Tarango is our guest speaker.

*Abstract:* Through a discussion of her “The Legacy of Lady Bountiful:
White Women in the Library” (2016) and “How Cute! Race, Gender, and
Neutrality in Libraries” (2017), Gina Schlesselman-Tarango will trace some
of the political work that is performed at the intersections of whiteness
and gender in libraries, demonstrating how that which surfaces in our field
is illustrative and often in service of larger racial projects. She will
end with reflections on what whiteness studies can offer to LIS and where
it might fall short.

Please register in advance to attend this webcast:
https://sjsu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4kFXghOwSu-AjVe4TzIEBw

More details:
https://ischool.sjsu.edu/webcasts/lady-bountiful-librarian-cute-tracing-race-and-gender-lis

*Dr. Michele A. L. Villagran *[image: A button with "Hear my name" text for
name playback in email signature]
<https://www.name-coach.com/michele-villagran>
Assistant Professor, School of Information
San José State University, *On Ohlone Land*
http://ischool.sjsu.edu
michele.villagran at sjsu.edu
626-703-1903
faculty profile
<https://ischoolapps.sjsu.edu/facultypages/view.php?fac=villagranm> | pronouns:
she/her/hers <https://www.mypronouns.org/she-her>
schedule a meeting <https://calendly.com/drmichelealvillagran>

[image: SJSU School of Information]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/REFORMANet/CAPiMZiougwwd5hxENwrA8yzQZ0r5DfbBQM-3KEvk7Kbg9HP9-w%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/REFORMANet/CAPiMZiougwwd5hxENwrA8yzQZ0r5DfbBQM-3KEvk7Kbg9HP9-w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.

--
-
Max Macias [image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in

Social media is mind control.

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own
personal intellectual property.

Publishing

Lowrider Librarian <http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/>
Librarians With Spines  <https://www.librarianswithspines.com/>