[Libs-Or] Upcoming Training Opportunities

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Dec 13 09:12:37 PST 2023

Hello library community!

Here's a quick reminder about learning resources available from the State Library and other organizations:

Visit our CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> which also includes links to text<https://library.wyo.gov/assets/ldo/training/FreeCE.pdf> and online<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> versions of this month's free events listed by category (compiled by the Maine State Library and the Wyoming State Library and hosted by WebJunction).

The following webinars are free from various organizations and may be of interest to you or your colleagues:

>From WebJunction, free live webinars - register now!

Thursday, January 4, 2024, 12:00p PT, Libraries Foster Social Connection: Responding to the Epidemic of Loneliness and Isolation<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/libraries-foster-social-connection.html>

Libraries can play a vital role in building social cohesion and promoting community resilience, especially in challenging times. The Surgeon General's 2023 Advisory on Our Epidemic of Loneliness and Isolation<https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023/05/03/new-surgeon-general-advisory-raises-alarm-about-devastating-impact-epidemic-loneliness-isolation-united-states.html> brings even greater urgency to the need for us to connect. This engaging session will explore ways to intentionally design for social connection in library services and programs, from passive to hosted. These innovative and practical strategies can deepen engagement with staff, trustees, local officials, volunteers, and community members of all ages and backgrounds. Through the lens of "social connector," we will explore how libraries can invite the community in with intention, build relationships that enhance social infrastructure, put community at the center of the library, and demonstrate the library's impact.

Tuesday, January 30, 2024, 12:00p PT, Building Authentic Relationships with Underserved Communities<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/building-authentic-relationships.html>

You know your library could do more to connect with and respond to the systematically excluded communities you serve. But if you're starting with little or no existing connection, how do you build authentic, trust-based relationships? How do you go beyond transactional interactions and guessing at services to effective engagement and participation? This webinar will help you develop a plan for identifying, reaching, and building relationships with communities experiencing oppression. As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
*       Articulate the connection between relationship-building and equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice (EDISJ) in library services
*       Create, maintain, and utilize a simple asset map to understand your community's ecosystem
*       Apply the principles of asset-based community development to your own projects

Tuesday, February 17, 2024, Co-Creating Library Services for Transformative Impact<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/co-creating-library-services.html>

The most relevant and dynamic ideas can grow from collaborating with impacted communities. Co-creation is one of the most effective ways for libraries to turn diversity, equity, and inclusion ideals into real-world services. In this session, you'll learn about the fundamentals of co-design and explore how to apply them in your library for wildly creative and deeply impactful programs and services. As a result of this webinar, you'll be able to:
*       Define co-design and its role in creating library services
*       Identify multiple ways of sharing power with community
*       Apply basic principles and techniques from human-centered design to facilitate co-creation
*       Draw on real-world examples for inspiration

Additional learning resources are available from WebJunction's free course catalog<https://learn.webjunction.org/> - create your free account today and gain access to 100s of courses and recorded webinars.

>From the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM)

NNLM classes are offered nationally. Log into your free NNLM user account<https://news.nnlm.gov/region_5/consumer-health-minute-creating-an-nnlm-user-account/> to learn more class details, including the date and time of the class, and to register.

Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 12:00p PT Library Telehealth Partnerships: Lessons Learned and Looking Ahead<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/r4-connections-library-telehealth-partnerships-lessons-learned-and-looking-ahead>

In Idaho, the Department of Health and Welfare is supporting libraries as they offer telehealth connections for patrons. These services allow residents of rural communities and others who experience health inequities related to the "digital divide" to talk to their healthcare professional over an internet connection right at their local library. Hear from the coordinator of this fledgling program about how it has operated so far. A representative of NNLM's Region 4 will also tell you about training opportunities for professionals who want to explore offering telehealth services at their library.

Upcoming live PCI Webinars:

Each Wednesday from 11:00a - 12:00p PT, explore new, relevant topics during a live webinar from People Connect Institute. These webinars will also be recorded and available the following week in the Oregon Library Staff Academy / PCI Webinars<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff?category=12423> category.

Request your registration links for these upcoming webinars.<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Reg4PCI> Note: all PCI Webinars (live and recorded) are limited to Oregon library staff, volunteers, board members, Friend and Foundation members. Full descriptions are available on the PCI Webinar CE page<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>.

  *   January 10: What's Your Bounce-Ability? Thrive In Times of Change
  *   January 17 (90 mins): Official RDA Review
  *   January 24: A Model for Spanish Language Services

  *   Feb 7 (90 mins):  La Hora Virtual: How to Develop a Virtual Program to Promote Spanish Resources
  *   Feb 14: What's New in Readers Advisory
  *   Feb 21: Level Up Your Library With AI: Practical Uses for Library Staff and Patrons
  *   Feb 28: Best Picture Books Published in 2023 for Ages 1 to 6

Niche Academy live webinars:

Wednesday, January 10, 2024, 11:00a PT, Canva 2.0 for Libraries: Page Layout Design<https://www.nicheacademy.com/canva-2.0-for-libraries-page-layout-design>
Based on the webinar Canva and Design for Libraries: Learn Page Layout and Social Media Design<https://www.nicheacademy.com/blog/canva-and-design-for-libraries>, this workshop focuses on page layout design, learning to format your design for social media, flyers, and posters, and formatting for the web vs. print. This training session is a tutorial, focusing 100% on Canva with the most common design and layout topics, and is ideal for beginner-intermediate learners. This webinar is open to all library professionals, focusing on those who are charged with marketing and design for their library. You will learn how to:
*       Design for the web vs. print
*       Design flyers
*       Design for social media with motion effects in Canva
*       Design consistently across formats for marketing

Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 11:00a PT, Cultivating and Sustaining the Relationship-Driven Library<https://www.nicheacademy.com/cultivating-and-sustaining-the-relationship-driven-library>
We all know that teamwork makes the dream work, but what does that actually mean for the day-to-day work of librarianship? Cultivating and sustaining the relationship-driven library has four steps: 1) planting the seeds of partnership, 2) nurturing co-developed ideas, 3) harvesting and celebrating accomplishments, and 4) resting and preparing for future partnerships.

Join Noah Lenstra for this webinar on building the relationship-driven library. You'll leave this session with renewed confidence in your ability to find partners, cultivate working relationships with them, and keep relationships fresh and impactful, as well as how to tactfully step back from relationships that aren't working the way you hoped they would. Finally, you'll learn how to advocate for the time you need for this process.

Looking for learning resources on a particular topic? I'm happy to help - please contact me!

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA2D9E.1FD95370]