[Libs-Or] Upcoming training opportunities

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Dec 1 12:33:37 PST 2023

Hello library community!

Here are some free upcoming training opportunities - be sure to check out a complete list from WebJunction (text<https://library.wyo.gov/assets/ldo/training/FreeCE.pdf> or online<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> versions) and other opportunities listed on the State Library's CE LibGuide<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/> calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1>.

Upcoming live PCI Webinars:

Each Wednesday from 11:00a - 12:00p PT, explore new, relevant topics during a live webinar from People Connect Institute. These webinars will also be recorded and available a few days later in the Oregon Library Staff Academy / PCI Webinars<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff?category=12423> category.

Request your registration links for these upcoming webinars.<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Reg4PCI> Note: all PCI Webinars (live and recorded) are limited to Oregon library staff, volunteers, board members, Friend and Foundation members. Full descriptions are available on the PCI Webinar CE page<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>.

  *   December 6: Speak up! Be a Strong Introverted Leader
  *   December 13: Public Libraries and Jail Partnerships
  *   January 10: What's Your Bounce-Ability? Thrive In Times of Change
  *   January 17 (90 mins): Official RDA Review
  *   January 24: A Model for Spanish Language Services

>From Niche Academy, free live webinars:

Policy Writing and Implementation With an Equity Lens<https://www.nicheacademy.com/policy-writing-and-implementation-with-an-equity-lens>, 12/6 at 11:00a PT
Using a recent Behavior Policy revision process as an example, as well as current Collection Development policy work, Adrienne Doman Calkins will share ways to approach policy writing as a process rather than a product.  Join us to learn about the processes and pitfalls in library policy writing and implementation. Get tips for using an equity lens, applying trauma-informed concepts, researching, the writing process, building feedback loops, and a holistic approach to implementation.

If you're interested but not able to attend the live webinar, go ahead and register and a recording to all registrants will be sent.

ChatGPT: Engaging With Technology In The Generative Ai Era<https://www.nicheacademy.com/chatgpt-engaging-with-technology-in-the-generative-ai-era>, 12/13 at 11:00a PT
Have you heard about ChatGPT or Generative AI in 2023? It is a powerful and revolutionary tool that has gained 100 million users. Despite the complex technology behind it, its user interface is designed to ensure seamless interaction for users of all levels. Many may think it is a new Google-like search engine where you get information from the internet. This is only half correct. Generative AI goes a step further - it creates.

Borui Zhang will introduce you to the concept of generative AI and show you how you can adapt ChatGPT as your personalized assistant for planning activities, learning new skills, and drafting text-based communication. Borui will compare ChatGPT with traditional search engines as well as provide tips for some best prompting practices with the new conversational AI tool. Further, we will also discuss the challenges and opportunities presented by conversational AI in educational settings.

I If you're interested but not able to attend the live webinar, go ahead and register and a recording to all registrants will be sent.

>From the Network of the National Library of Medicine (NNLM), Region 5.

NNLM classes are offered nationally. Log into your free NNLM user account<https://news.nnlm.gov/region_5/consumer-health-minute-creating-an-nnlm-user-account/> to learn more class details, including the date and time of the class, and to register.

Bridging the Digital Divide: Telehealth's Double-edged Sword<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/bridging-digital-divide-telehealths-double-edged-sword>, 12/ 5 at 10:00a PT
This session is part of the Bridging the Digital Divide: Telehealth and Libraries Webinar Series. Despite its promise, telehealth has become a "double-edged sword": the technology with potential to reduce health inequities by increasing access to healthcare also holds the capacity to exacerbate structural inequities. Specifically, in order to achieve more equitable telehealth, leaders in health care and communities must address a person's: (1) digital fluency, the ability to use digital tools efficiently and effectively, and (2) the capacity for health advocacy or a person's ability to advocate for their own health needs. Community leaders have the capacity to work towards solving these divides.

Health Data Privacy in the Library<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/health-data-privacy-library>, 1/11 at 10a PT
This webinar will explore the role libraries play in patron health journeys, which includes the layout of our physical spaces, the way we handle sensitive documents, which resources we share, and more. Privacy advocate Tess Wilson will discuss practical approaches to patron support and ways we might teach patrons about their health data safety.

Providing Mental Health Information at Your Library<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/providing-mental-health-information-your-library>, 1/19 at 10a PT
Responding to questions involving topics on mental health is challenging even for the most experienced librarian. This class focuses on what librarians and information providers do best:
1) provide reference services
2) make connections to reliable resources
3) library programming

This webinar will cover:
*       A few mental health stats and definitions
*       Tips for reference interactions
*       Highlight reliable information resources
*       And lastly, we'll look at some ideas for programs around mental health.

NLM resources covered in this class include MedlinePlus and DailyMed, as well as other NIH and freely available authoritative resources.

Free live webinars from PLA:

Data Tools for Library Groups and States<https://www.ala.org/pla/education/onlinelearning/webinars/datatools>, 12/11 at 11:00a PT
Join ACRL and PLA staff to discuss the data and assessment products, Project Outcome and Benchmark, and how they can help your group, consortia, or state library administrative agency. Libraries across the country use these tools for benchmarking, understanding trends, advocating for better resources, and assessment. Utilizing the group functionalities of these tools will allow you and your group's member libraries to easily use peer data, standardized measurements, and robust interactive reporting tools to demonstrate the value of library programs and services.

  *   Find out more about Project Outcome for academic libraries at https://acrl.projectoutcome.org/ or for public libraries at https://www.projectoutcome.org/.

  *   Find out more about Benchmark for academic libraries at https://www.ala.org/acrl/proftools/benchmark or public libraries at https://www.ala.org/pla/data/benchmark.

Super Searchers for Library Workers<https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_o_0BKUknRcOEpzLzm_kdZA#/registration>, 12/12 at 11:00a PT
The ease with which misinformation can be created and spread online endangers everyday discourse-and libraries are uniquely suited to help counteract its negative effects. Using research developed at University of Washington, Google has created a new set of tools for evaluating material found online, making it easier to think critically about the veracity of digital information right at the point of search. In this interactive presentation, library consultant Toby Greenwalt will demonstrate the capabilities of Super Searchers and showcase potential applications in the library workspace.

Stronger Together: Challenges Faced By Historically Marginalized Staff<https://ala-events.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUrceCurD0vHdAYLDlWv_UEa4aAX00qBU1s#/registration>, 1/18 at 1:00p PT
How do staff from historically marginalized groups find the support to grow and thrive in their careers? Note: registration for the "Stronger Together" webinars reach full capacity quickly, register now if you can attend.

Free on-demand panel discussions from PLA, bookmark and view when you like!

Understanding the Role of Public Library Directors<https://www.ala.org/pla/education/onlinelearning/webinars/ondemand/role>
Public library directors fill a unique role in their organizations as leaders in both policy and culture. Whether it is a single building rural library to a multi-location big city system, all library directors face a series of similar problems as they strive to keep operations going. Between budgets, politics, policies, and staffing, no two days are the same. In this on-demand panel discussion, experienced directors will share their stories about why they chose this career path, its challenges, and their thoughts on the future of the profession. If you are interested in becoming a director, are already a director looking for some tips, or simply want to learn more about the role, this is the panel discussion for you. Originally presented May 18, 2021.

Affecting Change in a Middle Management Role<https://www.ala.org/pla/education/onlinelearning/webinars/ondemand/affecting>
Program coordinators, department heads, and other supervisors are the leadership of public libraries on the front lines, but they don't always have a seat at the table when administrators talk about change within the library. Hear from public librarians representing libraries of varying sizes, geographic regions, and diverse populations who have affected change from their positions in middle management through effective communications, advocacy, and storytelling. Originally presented June 1, 2021.

Re-Weaving the Culture through Inclusive Norms in the Public Library<https://www.ala.org/pla/education/onlinelearning/webinars/ondemand/inclusive>
The history of public libraries is deeply rooted in white supremacy, and white cultural norms still dominate management practices in public libraries today. In order to create more inclusive workplace cultures in public libraries, new norms must be established by creating decision-making processes and modes of communication that honor the cultural norms of BIPOC staff members.

As libraries emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic with an increased awareness of racial inequities in the communities we serve, the time has also come to look inward at the ways our own management systems and structures perpetuate inequities among those who work in public libraries. By dismantling and re-weaving organizational culture norms to decenter whiteness, we can work together to create a better, more inclusive future. This panel discussion provides background on white cultural norms in librarianship, illustrated by examples from the lived experience of the panelists, so you can develop a deeper understanding of the way that these norms marginalize, silence, and harm BIPOC library staff members. Originally presented June 3, 2021.

Additional freely available on-demand PLA webinars are listed here<https://www.ala.org/pla/education/onlinelearning/webinars/ondemand/inclusive> (left column).

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA2448.4491C4E0]