[Libs-Or] Summer Reading virtual activities provided by the NLS and Talking Books

BRUTON Elke H * SLO Elke.BRUTON at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Jun 13 10:10:06 PDT 2023

Hello Library Friends of Oregon,

The National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled (NLS) is hosting several virtual Summer Reading activities this year and they have invited ALL to attend!  While we could keep these great speakers and events to ourselves and our Talking Books' patrons, we thought we might see how many of your library users would be interested in joining us!  All events are listed in the EASTERN time zone (EDT), so be sure to update the start time if you advertise any or all of the events taking place this summer.

Attendees must register to attend each of these free summer reading events, which will be held virtually on Zoom. Links to each event are posted on the NLS Summer Reading 2023 page on the Network Library Services website at www.loc.gov/nls/network/welcome/resources/summer-reading<http://www.loc.gov/nls/network/welcome/resources/summer-reading/>. Please note that most of these events will not be recorded or posted online due to our agreements with the authors and publishers. Patrons will not have an opportunity to view these events at a later date if they do not attend.

Here is the schedule:

  *   Kickoff event (all ages): Monday, June 26, at 4:00 pm EDT, with Librarian of Congress Dr. Carla Hayden.

https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_DI61uTmpSDenX0PhZoxtPw

  *   Author talk (adult): Thursday, June 29, at 7:00 pm EDT, with Shelby Van Pelt, author of Remarkably Bright Creatures.

https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_xfOncQcKTRWgOOSGPijSuA

  *   Story time and music (designed for K-3rd grade, but all are welcome): Thursday, July 6, at 7:00 pm EDT, with Matt Mazur.

https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_zfjvqgRgTKWpU7ohLMYXOw

  *   Author talk (designed for middle grades, but all are welcome): Tuesday, July 11, at 7:00 pm EDT, with Celia Perez, author of The First Rule of Punk.

https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_ApnS_cBnQrS6rJv7REXQSw

  *   Author talk (designed for K-5th grade, but all are welcome): Saturday, July 22, at 1:00 pm EDT, with Annette Bay Pimentel, author of All the Way to the Top: How One Girl's Fight for Americans with Disabilities Changed Everything, and Jennifer Keelan-Chaffins, whose story is told in the book.

https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_Uy-EeQyWQOOsBYcEi2aasQ

  *   Author talk (designed for YA and middle grades, but all are welcome): Thursday, July 27, at 7:00 pm EDT, with Kwame Alexander, author of The Crossover.

https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_05YA1gXhQBWdi7f2sarZqQ

  *   Author talk (designed for YA, but all are welcome): Thursday, August 3, at 7:00 pm EDT, with Jenny Torres Sanchez, author of We Are Not from Here.

https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_No7xzhyJQWGIdqeUbivLSw

The NLS mission remains, That All May Read...and this summer we really do mean, ALL!

Happy Summer,
Elke Bruton

Elke H. Bruton, MLIS (she, her, hers)
Program Manager, Talking Books