[Libs-Or] ALA 2023 Conference highlights

CORNELISEN Wendy * SLO Wendy.CORNELISEN at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Jun 28 17:01:18 PDT 2023

It was lovely to run into a few Oregonians in the halls of the ALA Conference in Chicago! There were many wonderful sessions, posters, and author talks to choose from, but I wanted to share one of my favorites with you, which was highlighted in today's American Libraries Magazine: Methods for Mobilizing | American Libraries Magazine<https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/methods-for-mobilizing/>. Emily Amick spoke about book bans, and offered seven tips while crafting anti-censorship messaging:

  *   Fragmented messaging doesn't work on social media. You must repeat your message multiple times.
  *   It's not about books; it's about one core group of people trying to control everyone else.
  *   Say the things that seem obvious. What people in the library space know may not seem obvious to people who are hearing loud messages elsewhere.
  *   Repeating book banners' terminology only reinforces their platform.
  *   Move beyond defense into offense. Don't be afraid to do this with humor and pointing out how ridiculous book bans are.
  *   Don't reply to DMs or comments. Calling out hypocrisy just incites backlash.
  *   Invest in messengers. Persuading people already on your side doesn't help much.
I'll also re-share the wonderful resource developed by GLAAD and EveryLibrary: Book Bans: A Guide for Community Response & Action<https://glaad.org/publications/book-bans-a-guide-for-community-response-and-action/> is a step-by-step guidance to help organize groups to counter challenges/bans and spotlights a success story.

There were several sessions focused on book banning, censorship, and protecting library staff members from doxing efforts. I'll share another practical resource that I learned about last week: Library Freedom Institute has an online Guide to Protecting Yourself from Online Harassment<https://github.com/alisonLFP/libraryfreedominstitute/blob/master/LFI2/finalprojects/Library%20Freedom%20Guide%20to%20Harassment-%20111519.pdf>.

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday weekend!

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Cornelisen (she, her, hers)
State Librarian
State Library of Oregon
wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov>
Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-375-3992
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[Title: State Library of Oregon]