[Libs-Or] Updated OVERDUE: Weeding Out Oppression in Libraries Episode 14 w/working links!

Ericka Brunson-Rochette erickab at dpls.lib.or.us
Wed Mar 1 14:03:55 PST 2023

OVERDUE: Weeding Out Oppression in Libraries
Episode 14: Righting Black History w/Sherry Antoine, Laurie Bridges & Diana Park
See: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1948067/12340721

In this episode, we talk with Sherry Antoine (Executive Director of AfroCROWD), Laurie Bridges (Instruction and Outreach librarian at Oregon State University), and Diana Park (Science Librarian at Oregon State University) about their work to RIGHT history by writing Black history into Wikipedia.

Learn about what is happening in libraries and partner organizations to further representation of Black folx (and all Black, Indigenous, and People of Color). Wikipedia is one of the first results that comes up when we search the web, while still often disregarded for its ability to allow anyone to add information to the large system of knowledge. That ability, for ALL to contribute to this repository of information and history, provides a new way to fight for social justice and Black futures.

Date of interview: February 13, 2023
Hosts: Melissa Anderson and Brittany Young

Links mentioned in this episode:
AfroCROWD<https://afrocrowd.org/>
AfroCROWD Events<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/AfroCrowd/Home#Events>
Oregon Black Pioneers<https://oregonblackpioneers.org/>