[Libs-Or] FW: State Library response to loss of faculty librarians at Linn-Benton Community College

CORNELISEN Wendy * SLO Wendy.CORNELISEN at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Mar 28 08:29:48 PDT 2023

Like many of you, I was shocked to hear that the Linn-Benton Community College would choose to cut three faculty librarian positions from their staff. I've sent the attached letter to the President of the Linn-Benton Community College, urging a reconsideration of this decision. The school has cited budget concerns as a reason to eliminate 3 faculty librarian positions, which will greatly impact the services available to both students and to faculty.

Given the number of community colleges across the state, and knowing that some colleges (like this one in Vermont<Vermont%20%20https:/www.insidehighered.com/news/2023/02/16/backlash-university-says-its-library-will-be-all-digital>) have considered removing the library entirely, it is important to take a firm stance on this issue.

My thanks to Buzzy, Arlene, Jennifer Cox and Tamara Ottum for their help crafting this letter, which includes numerous examples of the impact and dedication shown by the librarians at LBCC. There is a narrow window to reverse this decision. Hopeful these words can help in that endeavor.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Cornelisen (she, her, hers)
State Librarian
State Library of Oregon
wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov>
Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-375-3992
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[Title: State Library of Oregon]