[Libs-Or] Upcoming training opportunities

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Nov 8 11:15:56 PST 2023

Hello library community!

Here are some upcoming training opportunities - be sure to check out a complete list from WebJunction (text<https://library.wyo.gov/assets/ldo/training/FreeCE.pdf> or online<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> versions) and other opportunities listed on the State Library's CE LibGuide<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/> calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1>.

>From WebJunction:

Let's Talk Race: Community Healing through Conversation
Tuesday, November 14,11:00 am PT
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/lets-talk-race.html

Library communities around the country are seeing rising levels of division, distrust, and segregation. Recognizing the need for community healing, library staff at the Richland Library in South Carolina formed the Let's Talk Race team to explore strategies for deepening community connections and engagement. Since 2016, the Let's Talk Race team has facilitated more than 250 in-person or online discussions, community forums, and events, reaching more than 4,000 participants, and creating opportunities for civic engagement, community connections, and courageous conversations. Earlier this year, the Richland Library launched the open-source Let's Talk Race Curriculum, providing a set of easy-to-follow resources for other libraries, museums, and related organizations to implement with their local communities. The curriculum includes facilitation best practices, conversation guides, videos, and more. The curriculum provides a learning pathway to help get started, build facilitation skills, and create conversation guides to hold your own circles of dialog.
Living Our Values Out Loud: Programs that Walk the Talk
Tuesday, November 28, 2023, 11:00 am PT
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/living-our-values-out-loud.html

>From zero-waste events to upcycling to refreshments, how we choose to carry out our work in libraries says a lot about our values. We can't just pay lip service to sustainability-we need to practice what we're talking about! This webinar will be an inspiring discussion with a panel of practitioners who have found ways to design, implement, and evaluate library programs using frameworks that better represent their libraries' values, such as the triple bottom line definition of sustainability and the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals.
>From Tech-Talk
Note: Registration<https://www.tech-talk.com/webinars> for Tech-Talk webinars<https://www.tech-talk.com/webinars> and access to the recordings<https://www.tech-talk.com/webinar-recordings> requires the Tech-Talk username and password (available at the top of the weekly Tech-Talk newsletter) and is for Oregon library staff only. You can also request the username and password by emailing: ce.coordinator at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:ce.coordinator at slo.oregon.gov> and include the name of your library.

Turn Data Into Colorful Dashboards with Google's Looker Studio
Wednesday, November 15, 12:00p PT

Formerly known as Google Data Studio, this free tool can quickly display anything you're tracking into meaningful charts and tables.
Two guest presenters who use this tool will share their experiences.
In this session, you'll discover:
1.     What you can do with Looker Studio.
2.     How to tell your data story in multiple charts.
3.     How to use the drag and drop report editor.
4.     How to make your reports interactive with viewer filters.
5.     How built-in sample reports can make your job easier.
6.     How to share your insights with others.
7.     How to collaborate on reports with your team.

Ten (10) Things You Can Do with the Google Photo App
Wednesday, November 15, 12:00p PT

Whether you have an Android or an iPhone, you can use Google Photo app to organize, edit and more! We'll look at:
1.     Create and edit videos
2.     Make photo collages and animations
3.     Get creative with edits and apply the same ones to multiple images
4.     Blur a background
5.     Access your photos through your Google account on a computer
6.     Search by people, places, objects, and dates
7.     Search by a person's (or pet's) headshot
8.     Use locked folders for sensitive images
9.     Using and controlling what shows in Memories
10.  Using Google Lens

PCI Webinars:
The following PCI webinars are free to Oregon library staff, volunteers, board members, friends and foundation members - full descriptions are available here<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>. Please use this form<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Reg4PCI> to request registration links.

All webinars happen on Wednesdays, 11a-12p PT - if can't make it to the live event, recordings are available about a week later in the Oregon Library Staff academy<http://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff> (need access? Please use this request form<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OR-NicheAcademy>).

  *   Nov 8: Telling Your Library's Success Story: Engaging Stakeholders Through Infographics (Part 1)
  *   Nov 15: Telling Your Library's Success Story: Engaging Stakeholders Through Infographics (Part 2)
  *   Nov 22: The Five Practices to Becoming More Grateful
  *   Nov 29: What About Homeschoolers? Understanding and Programming for Homeschoolers and their Parents
  *   Dec 6: Speak up! Be a Strong Introverted Leader
  *   Dec 13: Public Libraries and Jail Partnerships

Cheers!
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA122A.874826B0]