[Libs-Or] Civics - Misinformation workshop next week! And, updates.

dcohen at hevanet.com dcohen at hevanet.com
Sat Sep 23 17:07:30 PDT 2023

Civics for Adults Update      Sept 23, 2023.

Free! Virtual! Spread the word!

Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda

Weds, Oct 4th. 6:30-8:00.

Registration
<https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/events/64de681070573a3000af7a40>
https://wccls.bibliocommons.com/events/64de681070573a3000af7a40

Sponsored by Forest Grove Public Library.

* Mainstream press and "fake news"

* Social Media posts

* Email clickbait

* Propaganda

* Language / terminology

* Deepfakes

* Survey  / poll questions

* Economic data

* Graphs and charts

* Finding good information

Selected Civics for Adults Facebook posts:

This month I presented a workshop for Our Just Future, a nonprofit
affordable housing developer. They would like their staff and clients -
tenants of 18 buildings in East Portland, Gresham and Fairview - to
understand more about elections and how to be civically engaged! How cool is
that.

Here is a slide I used showing the City Councils of the three cities. The
interesting fact is:

Population of Portland - about 650,000

Population of Gresham - about 115,000

Population of Fairview - about 10,000

Notice the disparity in representation? THIS is why Portland's City Council
must - and will - be expanded to more people!

**

Thinking of running for office in Portland's new city government? Here is a
guide for candidates, put out by the city.

<https://www.portland.gov/elections/documents/city-portland-candidate-guide-
november-2024-municipal-general-election/download?fbclid=IwAR3anc81fTGvrro7M
IW6wlHJtD7Sa2qsbDAOh-W7h3xAmNKoMqnnbHEqdmM>
https://www.portland.gov/elections/documents/city-portland-candidate-guide-n
ovember-2024-municipal-general-election/download?fbclid=IwAR3anc81fTGvrro7MI
W6wlHJtD7Sa2qsbDAOh-W7h3xAmNKoMqnnbHEqdmM

**

The following two are slightly dated but things are only worse now. This is
not a tenable situation.

An amazing video from OXFAM. It's from 2017

Several of the founders of the U.S. spoke against concentration of wealth /
unlimited inheritance. They knew the dangers then. But they couldn't have
imagined the way industrialization, globalization, and financialization
might have supercharged the road to concentrated wealth.

<https://www.facebook.com/worldeconomicforum/videos/10154300689391479/?__cft
__%5b0%5d=AZXs_jNg3J8rp90KWZJ6lGvjDIKWL9FIiZ-0o9ZyB-tFZYb3niOELCx5wIQsXFIhMQ
PYIjgV36F1VnmSqKKI_Zt3-iw3zLu1Ai9MxwJxAt1H7LUntn0S_PyrMysYDxXinfT7kMaLVAKCHv
KsJ9tVfetfJJOtif4YWCm1-mQsvpB1qcNoKZFE6ePkHlIuNhAUhlMhsuCrX6fNgHGjQJHdHeQe&_
_tn__=-UK-R> https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154300689391479&t=3

Also,

The 3 Richest Americans Hold More Wealth Than Bottom 50% Of The Country,
Study Finds. Forbes. Nov, 2017

<https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkirsch/2017/11/09/the-3-richest-americans-
hold-more-wealth-than-bottom-50-of-country-study-finds/?sh=3c2e1e563cf8&fbcl
id=IwAR0saDWOMw5YIJLTtFc7AANj5i-L2PbYy67yEcBaCMrDiYGMKBTqvplBZO0>
https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkirsch/2017/11/09/the-3-richest-americans-h
old-more-wealth-than-bottom-50-of-country-study-finds/?sh=3c2e1e563cf8&fbcli
d=IwAR0saDWOMw5YIJLTtFc7AANj5i-L2PbYy67yEcBaCMrDiYGMKBTqvplBZO0

**

Sometimes in the Activism workshop I mention how a movement to have an
independent redistricting commission in Michigan began with one woman
putting out a post on Facebook. It snowballed into a campaign and,
eventually, they won.

<https://www.salon.com/2022/12/03/WON-IN-MICHIGAN-THIS-YEAR--AND-FAIR-REDIST
RICTING-WAS-THE-REASON/?fbclid=IwAR2uiVQFc6Mlz-VJO9v7h-xDbwkTOSowPDSsXEANVn4
ARRgOkMjG3CEaN7k>
Https://www.salon.com/2022/12/03/won-in-michigan-this-year--and-fair-redistr
icting-was-the-reason/

More at  <https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036

Ask your local library or community group to sponsor a workshop! Thanks.

Flyer describing workshops:
<https://static.s123-cdn.com/uploads/2516289/normal_5fe8c854352d5.pdf>
https://static.s123-cdn.com/uploads/2516289/normal_5fe8c854352d5.pdf

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcoheninfo at comcast.net <mailto:dcoheninfo at comcast.net>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Political Engagement

Webpage www.civicthinker.info <http://www.civicthinker.info/>

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY