[Libs-Or] Access to physical copies of Oregonian discontinued in certain areas?

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Wed Sep 27 09:17:40 PDT 2023

Hi Bryan,

This rang a distant bell so I did some searching and it looks like that the Oregonian has done this before, all the way back in 2013, and not just in the more rural areas of the state. Here are the posts from that time:

[Libs-Or] Oregonian delivery<https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2013-September/006770.html> (9/29/2013)
[Libs-Or] Oregonian in the Metro Area <https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2013-October/006791.html>  (10/1/2013)

  *   [Libs-Or] Oregonian in the Metro Area <https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2013-October/006794.html>
     *   [Libs-Or] Oregonian in the Metro Area <https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2013-October/006795.html>
        *   [Libs-Or] Oregonian in the Metro Area <https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2013-October/006796.html>
        *   [Libs-Or] Oregonian in the Metro Area <https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2013-October/006804.html>
        *   [Libs-Or] Oregonian in the Metro Area <https://omls.oregon.gov/pipermail/libs-or/2013-October/006797.html>

I think that newspapers, even statewide ones, are between a rock and a hard place and I would guess their decision was primarily a financial one. Also worth mentioning that it appears the delivery service is often contracted out and I’m sure that fuel costs play a significant role.

Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>