[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults 2/17 workshop and new name for Misinformation!

dcohen at hevanet.com dcohen at hevanet.com
Tue Feb 13 23:02:51 PST 2024

Civics for Adults Update      February 13, 2024.

Workshops

On Sat, Feb 17th, at 11 PST/2 EST, I'll be presenting a workshop for New
Britain, Connecticut, Public Library on Citizen Activism 101. Although some
of the content will be geared to the locale, the principles will be generic.
On this calendar, scroll down on the event for the registration link:

 <https://www.nbpl.info/calendar.html> https://www.nbpl.info/calendar.html

Note: Name change for the Misinformation workshop - currently,
"Misinformation, Fake News and Political Propaganda" - now "Misinformation
and Propaganda - Telling Truth from Fiction".

I also have a custom workshop scheduled for April but it will be closed to
the public. I've been doing more custom workshops. Please contact me if you
have an idea!

Selected Civics for Adults Facebook posts:

Event: The Missing Constitutional Right Mar. 20.  12-1 p.m. PST. Brennan
Center. Virtual

"The right to vote is one of the foundations of democracy, yet in the United
States, it has never truly been available to all. Author Richard Hasen
argues in his new book,  <https://bookshop.org/a/20454/9780691257716> A Real
Right to Vote, that a constitutional amendment would end the fight over the
franchise. But could it be that simple?"

Register:
<https://brennan.swoogo.com/missingright/begin?ref=EventsNewsletter012924&fb
clid=IwAR0RlZRMITENp-o1PBtI99M0ywWjCi2iSD0T89BgMT-beX5YNITXzJo5y28&i=woFolbE
B6XROaWbwRbqCvKYO_k8CnBXw>
https://brennan.swoogo.com/missingright/begin?ref=EventsNewsletter012924&fbc
lid=IwAR0RlZRMITENp-o1PBtI99M0ywWjCi2iSD0T89BgMT-beX5YNITXzJo5y28&i=woFolbEB
6XROaWbwRbqCvKYO_k8CnBXw

**

Catching on - reporting on the "stakes, not the odds". This means focusing
on the substance of candidates, not on the "horse race". Also, using a
"citizens' agenda" - responding to what people want to know about
candidates/elections. Both are important moves towards better, more
responsible, reporting. Here is Vermont Public Radio's commitment:

Vermont Public will cover the 2024 election by taking our cues from you

<https://www.vermontpublic.org/local-news/2024-01-29/vermont-public-will-cov
er-the-2024-election-by-taking-our-cues-from-you?fbclid=IwAR1Mg8fr_PuMYqv8U9
IOCtKseNFdsT54sUpkjav6ZoPYJiDV1_xo-ObSq5E>
https://www.vermontpublic.org/local-news/2024-01-29/vermont-public-will-cove
r-the-2024-election-by-taking-our-cues-from-you?fbclid=IwAR1Mg8fr_PuMYqv8U9I
OCtKseNFdsT54sUpkjav6ZoPYJiDV1_xo-ObSq5E

**
The indictment from Special Prosecutor Jack Smith for Donald Trump's actions
in attempting to overturn the 2020 election. The indictment came out of a
Grand Jury of regular folks who heard extensive testimony/evidence, as
outlined in the indictment. Interestingly, a group got 83 people to split
the indictment into sections and read the whole document!

The oral recitation:  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-HqGZggr8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-HqGZggr8

Written:
<https://www.justice.gov/storage/US_v_Trump_23_cr_257.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3YmOqSs
TBNIdFb6XHGEhQ1CvrlBu2iCMI4TE2xK57t1fHIBqctBd7e0is>
https://www.justice.gov/storage/US_v_Trump_23_cr_257.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3YmOqSsT
BNIdFb6XHGEhQ1CvrlBu2iCMI4TE2xK57t1fHIBqctBd7e0is

**

Well, looks like we have our first instance of the use of AI to disrupt 2024
elections. Be careful folks.

Fake Joe Biden robocall tells New Hampshire Democrats not to vote Tuesday

<https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/fake-joe-biden-robocall-tell
s-new-hampshire-democrats-not-vote-tuesday-rcna134984?fbclid=IwAR0SPGbtSS4ww
1LKsJ8k2KI8FcYpCYMiJBnMX1_SFb4ITx63FF6iFvJ2ErE>
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/fake-joe-biden-robocall-tells
-new-hampshire-democrats-not-vote-tuesday-rcna134984?fbclid=IwAR0SPGbtSS4ww1
LKsJ8k2KI8FcYpCYMiJBnMX1_SFb4ITx63FF6iFvJ2ErE

**

A really important fact about the Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire primary
that is sorely lacking in the media coverage is this...They are not
"winner-take-all" contests. No one walks away with all the delegates those
states send to the national conventions. Delegates are determined by a
proportional system where the number of delegates a candidate gets is
proportional to that person's results.

Why is it important to know this? For three reasons, imo:

1. It's simply a more accurate way of describing the outcomes of these
contests.

2. It can counter a narrative that tags one person as the "winner", as
though no one else mattered.

3. We need to have a better appreciation for the concept of "proportional"
representation. Whether it's for these contests, for state electoral vote
counts [which for most states are not proportional, but that can be
changed], or for our elected bodies in general [city/county/state
legislatures, Congress] - proportional results better reflect the
preferences of the population.

How often have you heard people complain that the two parties in Congress
don't reflect their interests?

Simply put, there is no way that two parties can represent the range of
concerns for 330 million people! This is why so many [up to a third,
overall] of the voting public isn't affiliated with any party. Imagine if we
had, say, 6 viable parties, although with differing policies. More people
would find a political "home" with a proportional system and, more would get
done, because coalitions would form around various issues, in order to pass
legislation. The coalitions can shift depending on the issue.

More at  <https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036

Ask your local library or community group to sponsor a workshop! Thanks.

NEW Flyer describing workshops:
<https://static.s123-cdn-static-d.com/uploads/2516289/normal_65cbbf0327941.p
df>
https://static.s123-cdn-static-d.com/uploads/2516289/normal_65cbbf0327941.pd

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcoheninfo at comcast.net <mailto:dcoheninfo at comcast.net>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Political Engagement

Webpage www.civicthinker.info <http://www.civicthinker.info/>

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY