[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: WEB TOOL – Use Canva’s Whiteboard for Mind Mapping & More

HANNING Darci C * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Mar 19 14:53:10 PDT 2024

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!

Having trouble reading this email?
You can view the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/use-canvas-whiteboard-for-mind-mapping-more.html> and the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/12-power-words-9-what-makes-you-ask-that.html> online instead at:
https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon

When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for both.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Canva provides tool for project planning, brainstorming and flow charts

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/8bd8186e-13c7-4c66-bcb0-b201f58f31f9.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wcpTlEYId9fo6xBUulPirpL_V-Z90gz9uI4uZXDKbuKNV2fgBRpwt6l4DhkzQfyCH1zpyMRG1PINylq55Dcfyw6yh78OpbsDKlcwLa0uUTTwWmqjyxfsE9z3IrHA1EDRUBsqIJNi73M4ySuncDvBhxA1zJ7V-8rJNA==&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>

Photo by Ilse Orsel<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wcpTlEYId9foQrZM7FY2I1CGvFaGaWNDtKtEdkf2jnwauwUL-0bGN_E3xiYnYVtK4V4JezdILR7dqEtN-SzIg0W9lUG7HJxGqm9pMJWEpRJNKk4TLVdUXHnOXwkLOSY4zakmaZhUrUx4lHsS8bMMprgm-eByRYumilSE1-U6WK4kOD37uDyaUr_E89pPx318l_XVaazxtZ3K&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wcpTlEYId9foLL1q5mZRQuRHvGPPQe4f5Z6kYyMo_xx3pA-uoTI7cu1dU55cyaNfzaev3-sy_HWJaRTPl5UvS15v-kAGqPIMTXFHxcRc73G77cVe_alQWoqvKGkwJIjdHN4LrJt6HfFYEFI9t3WEdUlY2uS_Ns6o6pUv8YrKTnQgXkFbM3M_F09nBIs90HCilav8neTQAjkhMAaAwMAsGuRy5nw5QHCUmcbwJlTv4DZCBu62vI0eJDJCqVXEi0cs4CEID_QRM1Oa&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1waLWZwBc0b9VLDkHZChq5cYsJJQNuudhgUcD5PIKZxZc_PS_g2KAWbyC9Eeujb5_b0t4-blYDRZAgOwd_VsWWS6ZzmJ8RGnWuckv8s-IRmxN&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>

Webinars for You

NOTE: All Webinars are One Hour Long And Begin at 3 pm ET / 2 pm CT / 1 pm MT / 12 Noon PT

·     March 27: [EXCEL & ACCESS] Use Simple Excel & Access Databases to Organize Storytelling Resources

·     April 10: [EMAIL] 10 Gmail Features and Shortcuts You Might Not Be Using

·     April 24: [COMMUNICATE] Leadership Communications: Tools and Techniques, Part 1

·     May 8: [EMAIL] Getting Started with the "New" Outlook for Windows

View Webinars and Register Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wcbhz1CFUk9sxo4GobLML5nodELb8eRjUB_7iokFUuLIhvV6wTWeJoZnxD2dmcWtn_hudUoB0IE_wodSyy_hfHknZI8hvTkbi5hR3V7fmDl6&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>

WEB TOOL – Use Canva’s Whiteboard for Mind Mapping & More

Intermediate

A while back I was working on a project and thought that creating a flow chart would help me visualize a new process and map out the steps. Then I could add the chart to a presentation to my team.

I started using SmartArt in a Word document, but that tool wasn't as easy or flexible as I wanted.

[Word smartart]

Then I remembered seeing a mind-mapping template in Canva using their Whiteboard feature. Because I already use Canva a lot I was excited to explore this possibility. After watching a quick training video and "playing" in the platform, I was able to create a flow chart for my project ... and then export it and put it in my presentation.

Canva’s Whiteboard

Canva seems to be a "go-to" tool to create graphics for social media, flyers, business cards, and so on. And they keep extending their platform to make it even more relevant and useful. You can keep all of your graphics, presentations and projects under the Canva umbrella.

[Canva templates]
·     Brainstorm Ideas for a project an article, a program.
·     Plan Projects mapping out the tasks and assigning staff with responsibilities.
·     Mind Map where you start with a central topic and branch out to sub categories.
·     Create Flow Charts to identify processes, systems and turn ideas into actions.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/5c0b158d-4c61-4937-97be-4f1d81183fe5.jpg]

Want a live demonstration of what you can do with Whiteboards in Canva?

 Watch a recorded Webinar here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wcF6KRRX0OlcXFOLzWR2C7KFbibIkGhL2hwBp0o_7PyGwmpBbihkUu5YpZ2J2J6fWRraH0auShOhFiLS8-i6OTuM1lgN2ZzTUMepR3_J0h8GESW58X9dzArP2-Jre0syNG5Dfx7IAY9oQvXSjpMgAAuRUEu4fm6cBPhiJaGl_f_NQ37z1_wGG_I=&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>.

Getting Started with Whiteboard Templates

For your new project you can of course start with a blank canvas, or you can use over 1000 templates to help get the ideas flowing.

For example, maybe you don't need to be "creative" and just need a simple organizational chart drawn. Using a template means you can just add your content!

The starting point is always on the Canva Home page whether you're creating from scratch or using a Template.

·     From the Home screen, click on Whiteboards in the purple block to see hundreds in this category.
·     Or, click the purple Create a design button in the upper right to open a blank Whiteboard.

[create a design]

IMPORTANT: The Whiteboard has some different options than other Templates, so even if you use Canva all the time, read below to learn more Whiteboard-specific functions.

Whiteboard Template Tips

On the left side of many Templates is a section called Canva Tips for Whiteboards. It contains helpful hints and hotkey instructions for using that template.

If you don't want to view this area in your Whiteboard, just delete all the elements so that they're not in the way.

[template]

The Space

A Whiteboard has infinite space; you can make it as large as you want. It will grow as you add content. This is different than other templates that have the dimensions defined (like in an 8 ½ x 11 flyer or a predetermined size for a social media post).

[scroll]

Zoom - Use the Zoom slider at the bottom of the screen to view the content larger or smaller.

Move the screen to view parts that you can't see:

·     To move left and right use the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen.

·     Or to move up and down, use the scroll bar on the right.

Add Content to Your Whiteboard

In the left navigation, you'll see the usual options available when building a design such as Text, Upload, Elements, etc.. However, inside Elements, look for special graphics that are designed just for Whiteboards like Sticky Notes, Shapes, and Stickers.

[shapes]

Sticky Notes - Type "S" on the keyboard (or drag one from the Elements menu) and a Sticky Note will be added. They will appear with the creator's name at the bottom.

·     You can change how YOUR Name appears at the bottom as it is usually the username on the account, and may not be your actual name. To change this, from the Home Canva page, go to your icon in the upper right corner, choose Settings, and update your Name.
·     Or, right-click and choose Remove name to take it off that Sticky Note.

Shapes - Drag Shapes (rectangles, circles, triangles, etc.) from the Elements menu into your Whiteboard. Or use the shortcuts, "R" for Rectangle and "C" for Circle.

·     Use the side toggles to resize the Shape.
·     Customize even more by changing the color or border from the toolbar that appears when you highlight a shape.
·     To add Text to the shape just double-click on it and start typing.

[lines in a whiteboard]

Lines – Type "L" on the keyboard to add a line or drag one from the Elements menu. Move the line to where you want it in the Whiteboard and use the menu to change the width, color, type, etc.

·     When you drag lines in between elements to connect them they will stay attached even when you move the shape to other areas in the Whiteboard.
·     If you want to add Text on top of the line to define the connection, double-click the line and start typing.

Copy and Paste Content into Your Whiteboard – It's different! Normally you need to Upload images to your account to use in Canva designs. In the Whiteboard you can simply copy and paste ... from your desktop, a web page, an email … right into your Whiteboard!

Quick Flow

There is a new feature in Canva called Quick Flow to join elements with connecting lines.

[quick fill]
·     When you add a Shape or Sticky Note to your Whiteboard, arrows will appear on all sides of the element. Click on one of the arrows (left, right, top or bottom) to add connecting Shapes to your layout.
·     Quick Flow will add Lines/Arrows in between the items (you can click the arrow and press delete if you don't want it).
·     You can move the boxes around and the arrows will flow to their new location.
·     Change the arrow width or connector by highlighting the arrow and selecting options from the menu.
·     To turn off Quick Flow, click on one of the elements to bring up the menu and click the icon to toggle off (looks like a square with dots on all sides).

Real-Time Collaboration and Sharing

Add team members to your Whiteboard - Click the plus (+) icon in the top menu next to your picture. Then type in the names or emails to invite people or share a link to the board. Be sure to update the permission so that invited members can edit, comment or just view the board. You can see in real-time as team members add content to the design.

[Add a comment]

Add Comments to any element - Select it and choose the Comment icon. Add your comment/feedback/question. You can tag someone using the @ symbol before their name so that they will be notified.

Export Your Whiteboard Design

Download your Whiteboard - Go to the Share button in the upper right and you can export it as a PDF or an image to use in other documents.

If your board is too large to read clearly on one page, you can choose only part of it. In the canvas area right-click and select part of the board. Next, click on the boxed area and go to the 3 dot menu and choose Download selection.

[Canva]
Embed a Whiteboard

You can insert a Whiteboard creation (mind map, org chart, idea board) that you've created right in a Canva Doc or Canva Presentation.

Copy the Whiteboard's URL and paste it into your Canva document. Find the link either:

·     From the Home page thumbnail of the Whiteboard, click the 3 dots and choose Copy link (as in the image to the right).

·     Or, from inside the Whiteboard go to Share and click Public view link.

Remember, since space is infinite, you can continue to come back, add content, tweak what's there. You can use your Whiteboard as a personal thinking space, or share with team members.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: 12 Power Words

#9: "What makes you ask that?"

People ask you questions all the time. And the natural inclination is to answer them, right?

Here's a phrase that will help you in several ways:

"What makes you ask that?"

When you use these powerful words, a number of things happen.

1.  You learn what angle of the question the person is thinking.
2.  You buy some time to get your thoughts in order.
3.  You'll probably discover the reason behind the question ... which could significantly affect your reply.

Getting to the root of the question is revealing ... and can save a lot of talking around the subject.

Examples:
·     QUESTION: "How comfortable are you driving the entire trip?" What makes you ask that? Possible insightful replies: "We could go by train." or "I could plan to drive part way", or "I'm concerned about your hip."

·     QUESTION: "When are you going to finish the report?" What makes you ask that? Possible insightful replies: "I want to add a section before you do." or "I'm worried you won't have it done in time." or "I want to take it with me on the trip."

TIP: Be sure to use this phrase in a light-hearted and friendly manner, so that it doesn't make the questioner feel defensive.

* * *

If you can't wait 12 weeks to get all the power words (or learn more about this one), go to Tech-Talk.com<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wd3ZTK1aaYJwmt2Yg7Y3t-VssFBWfSmATx6q-FF4luNWFAm-HrMpe0p_jigP-wrDfpoOwKSs4WZMK_Iv9-sKGlvUxhrii18Vwg==&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>. Search for "12 Powerful Words"

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wWuvoz8fuM38UjiZanM_W16y_Itu_dk5fqbyQ3NJZN3XZyynISFGtJVNCtcPuoyaBpos_KpxE7fZ-zQqk7WFEcsQbuoPLgYZV-IbOuclq9iq&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>

[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001vOFg09Y4i_U8qBqkpupFINiJwzmae3EjErSCyaygWxxr7YPlQlt1wVhjaQv-zer1ZAK83btCVlGoa3qfJuSl4M51tTRSL3xCpU2ASAJcdG5bS6IV5hQDKJT7KxYHrbeg_Qmt_fahaoassRKE8Vk8rsR9T1QQYvhz_jWrz3mI76A=&c=B-sqas81nl532tot1ygR6a_BbXqy53w2MdGY267NG80RAOvy54WhNg==&ch=HLciTGLsrEmkcc0NuxsXu_HN-_1vhrfMYxc7-Ni7hwVR4Sm1VmGf1Q==>

Copyright 1996-2024 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 585-615-7795.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA7A0D.2895CB40]