[Libs-Or] Applications now open to attend the Civic Switchboard Institute

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Mar 25 11:07:08 PDT 2024

Greetings! I'm passing this along for those who are interested in developing the capacity in libraries to engage in civic data:

Applications now open to attend the Civic Switchboard Institute<https://civic-switchboard.github.io/2024-institutes/> in Portland, OR, July 11 and 12, 2024.

The Civic Switchboard project<https://civic-switchboard.github.io/> is focused on building the capacity of libraries to engage in civic data work in their communities. Through our IMLS-funded Civic Switchboard Institute program, we will host six regional and one online institutes for library workers interested in serving as intermediaries between community members and civic data and developing civic data roles for their libraries.

There are several goals of the Institutes, including:
*        To expand a community of practice focused on libraries and civic data and connect regional library workers;
*        To support participants in understanding their civic data ecosystem and potential roles for their libraries;
*        To connect participants with exemplars of library civic data intermediary work by featuring the work of host sites;
*        To foster critical data literacies through engagement with topics in civic data that speak to power, social justice, and responsible data practices to mitigate harms.

Additional information about the institute is available<https://civic-switchboard.github.io/2024-institutes/>; you can apply to attend the Portland Civic Switchboard Institute here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeS726UjV2zE9b1yVrs_JrIuCGCsVF0ywqkdWI7eRTwYH1_fg/viewform?pli=1> with applications being due on May 9. There will also be an online Civic Switchboard Institute in November with applications opening later this year.

For questions, please contact civic-switchboard at pitt.edu<mailto:civic-switchboard at pitt.edu>

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA7E9F.1148E260]