[or-roots] elderly travelers on the Oregon Trail

Anne & Don Comer comerslr at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 5 21:18:52 PST 2002

At 6:51 PM -0800 05/4/2002, Cecil Houk wrote:
>For those who do not know her, the widow Tabitha Brown crossed
>the Oregon Trail in 1846 at the age of 66; and she is just one of my
>Oregon Trail Families:

As long as we are enumerating our "elder" trail crossers, I have this one
to offer from my list of Oregon Trail Families.

The widow Gertrude Van Valkenburg Peek crossed the Oregon Trail in 1847 at
the age of 77 with her son James and his family.  She filed a Provisional
Land Claim in the spring of 1848.  She continued to live in Oregon
Territory/Oregon State for the next 20 years, until her death  in June
1867, at the age of 97.

Anne

CRABTREE, 1846
PEEK, 1847