[or-roots] Re:[or-roots]AdoptionRecords

lindac-s at juno.com lindac-s at juno.com
Tue Aug 5 08:10:39 PDT 2003

Here's some more information on older Oregon adoption records from one of Oregon's state archivists (and what a great group they are!).  As you can see, adoptions up until 1918 were published publically.  However, some of the older records just don't seem to be there.

(original email)
Dear Linda Chalker-Scott,

The law passed in 1864 did indeed require county judges to report adoptions which were to be published in the biennial law volumes. I searched the law books from 1864 though 1879 but did not find an entry for the surname "Clark". The first enties do not begin until 1876 and continue through 1918 (the law was repealed in 1921). Apparently the county judges did  not "get up to speed" until 1876. If it would be useful to you, we could search the 1870 and 1880 censuses. Please contact us again if you would like the censuses searched.

Sincerely,

Dave Wendell, Reference Archivist

>>> lindac-s at juno.com 02/03/01 11:01PM >>>
Dear Archivists:

I saw this information in your web page re: early Oregon adoptions and am curious if you can do lookups, as I live in Seattle WA:

"Oregon passed an adoption law in 1864 entitled "An act to provide for
 the adoption of children" (Deady General Laws of Oregon 1843-1872, p. 562). This law required that each county judge report change of names made in the court to the office of the secretary of state, annually, for publishing with the statutes the following year. This report includes the date, present name, former name, by whom adopted and county."

I'm looking for the adoption records for Ida Louise and Anna M. Clarke. They were adopted by Frederick and Louise Clarke of Multnomah County, probably between 1865 and 1879.  I don't know whether they were biological sisters, but would very much appreciate any information regarding their original names and any information on their parents.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give -

Linda Chalker-Scott
9120 Matthews Ave. NE
Seattle, WA  98115