[or-roots] apologies. no flame intended ...

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 5 11:19:15 PDT 2003

Anne Comer wrote:

> So I stick to my guns that the replies should go to the list, and I
> find no reason why members would not expect that it would be so.
>
> I, and probably others, think that the people who control the or-roots
> list have made a mistake in setting the default to go to the
> individual and that it should be changed back to the way it was.

As a member of this list who does *not* expect his replies to
automatically go to the list,  I guess the best that could be hoped for
here is to agree that we disagree on this issue.

Most of the automotive lists that I am on, perhaps since they are mostly
Digest format, don't even reply to an address that accepts mail (ex:
356talk-digest-request at 356registry.org ) -- you 'have' to edit it, and
no one with a car problem or experience they want to talk about on
e-mail seems to have a problem with it.

KSSALINE-L at rootsweb.com, Dist7News at yahoogroups.com, and
STRICKLAND-L at rootsweb.com all reply to the individual poster and not the
list. Two of these lists are quite busy and one isn't.

I suppose an individual's personal experiences may have something to do
with forming their perspective on this, but there *are* many lists out
there where the Reply does not automatically go back to the list.

So I stick to my guns and say that just like when you hand write a
letter, you address the envelope to where you wish the letter to go
before you post it; may I suggest that one does the same with e-mail.

Remaining your or-roots friend,

Bill Strickland