[or-roots] apologies. no flame intended ...

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 21:11:57 PDT 2003

 ... just trying to make a point that to me seems rather plain and
simple. remember, this 'is' Oregon, "Things Look Different Here". your
RootsWeb lists are controlled by the moderator who can select the reply
to function. some very active lists choose the reply to sender only to
help cut down on excessive mail, whereas other lists/moderators set
their list to reply to the list to facilitate sharing of information. it
just depends.

i just think that a little common sense and personal responsibility goes
a long ways - send your posts to who you want it to go to and don't
depend on someone or something else to do you addressing for you.

since that is how i think, i consider that a discussion of how one uses
their 'Reply' and 'Reply to All' buttons to be a tad frivolous, although
if no one is paying attention, it does cut down on e-mail. were it so
easy to get rid of spam!

now, not too long ago, we had Cecil Houk regularly posting messages to
this list which primarily were about Oregon genealogy, and some seemed
to be complainimg about all the mail! so Cecil took his posting
elsewhere. now the complaints are list inactivity. we just can't have it
both ways folks.

another point to consider concerning the unsubscribe messages, which, if
the author was paying attention, shouldn't even come to the list, but
since they don't and the messages do, we see them all. (they should be
sent to or-roots-request at sosinet.sos.state.or.us). what we don't see are
the subscribe requests, because, since the poster is not yet subscribed,
don't come to the list.

Anne Comer wrote:

> The point I was making, and which was being suggested by others, is
> that there has been a change made ...

not recently. it was Feb, 2002 -- a year and a half ago, when the server
and mailing program were changed. there was some list discussion about
setting the 'reply to' feature. it would seem that this is what was
chosen.

Barbara Wulf wrote:

> When you hit reply you expect it to go to the place the message came
> from.

yes, and that party is the individual poster that sent it to the list
for redistribution, so, mission accomplished. if one wishes to share
their message with the OR-roots list, all one has to do is check that
the e-mail is properly addressed.

sure seems simple to me, but then experience is a good teacher.

Anne, et al -- i apologize for the excessively harsh tone of the
offending post.

Bill Strickland
Oregon City, OR