[or-roots] SHEA in Foster, OR, prior to 1900

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Sat Feb 15 18:21:26 PST 2003

I'm looking for a good photo of an old house.

This is a picture of the Shea house (circa 1944) in Foster, Oregon (now
part of Sweet Home).
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cchouk/rulaford/3/foster-house0.jpg

The house was located on the north side of Highway 20 at the junction of what
is now Riggs Hill Road.  When my father bought it circa 1943 it occupied about
20 acres of the original Shea property.  The Shea Point Visitor's Center now sits
on what had been an apple orchard until about 1947.  In 1948 my father sold
the place, and the house was quickly torn down!

I would like to have a good photo of the house because every photo my mother
ever took of it turned out to be a double exposure; as is the one above.  (I'd tell
you why, but then I'd get kicked off this list too!)

My father's mother rode with her father (Canada C. Montgomery) in his freight
wagon, across the Cascades, and they stopped at this house to buy onions!  All
of the onion farm is now beneath Foster Lake.

Cecil