[or-roots] Sherry Menear BOWEN 1940-2002

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Sat Feb 15 20:52:03 PST 2003

Dear or-roots Listers:

I've just spent 30+ minutes on the phone with the husband of the woman
in the following obit.  She and I lived across HWY 20 from each other in
Foster, OR, at the end of WW II.  I watched as her father and grandfather
built their house (long since gone, as is ours), using windwos that came
from Camp Adaire.

Here's a photo of us on one of my birthdays circa 1946/7:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cchouk/57/2/image5.jpg
Sherry, me, and Gail on the right.

There are more photo's that include Sherry at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cchouk/57/2/

There have been "Menear" inquiries on the lists, and I think this line
is one of them.

I have ******'d out the cities to provide privacy for the family.

I would have posted this on other lists also, but I am "persona non grata"
on them now.  I have nothing but pitty for the moderator.

So read the following and think of the kids having fun playing "Doctor",
and "School", and pickling wild strawberries!!  And almost totally unaware
of what had just happened in Europe and the Pacific!

(This will be added to my web page as soon as I get Cute FTP working
again.)

Sherry Lee (Gramma) Bowen, 61, *******, Idaho
    Sherry (Gramma) Bowen was taken by the Lord to Heaven on Sunday, October
20, 2002.  Her name was Sherry, but she is known by all as Gramma.
    Gramma was born on October 22, 1940 to Virgil and Barbara Menear in
Lebanon, OR.  She lived in Oregon and Idaho most of her younger years until
marrying Kenneth Bowen on January 26. 1959.  As she was a devoted wife, she
followed her husband and his military service around the world.  They lived
together in many places.  Their last place of residence was in ******* where
they have lived for about 30 years.
    Gramma's life was made complete by serving others; especially kids.
Anyone who knew her knew of her love and commitment to making others' lives
better.  She consistently put her own needs aside as she did things for
others.  In her husband's words, "she was just a fantastic woman."  He put
her death in the best perspective by saying that he knows God just opened a
daycare in Heaven and needed someone to run it.  Taking care of her kids was
what she loved most and she was the best at it.  Her spirit is one of
kindness, love, forgiveness and patience.  One could do nothing that she
could not love you through.
    There are numerous stories of how Sherry has impacted the lives of
generations as she lived the words of Jesus.  She ran a daycare out of her
home for many years.  Her prices were very low, but the love given was
tremendous.  In her desire to help others, she many times baby-sat for free
so that someone could go to school or take care of something else in their
life.
    Christmas time was her favorite time of the year.  Every year, she did
her best to get everyone possible a Christmas gift from "Santa".  She always
wanted everyone to know that they are lived and special.  The list of these
great things she did goes on and on.
    Gramma is survived by many loved ones; her husband Ken Bowen of ******,
two sisters; Gail and Allen Cochran of *******, Pat and Don Cochran of
********; five children, June and David Becker of *******, WA, Jodie and
Darren Jackson of **********, ID, Jim and Rhanda Bowen of ********, Jerrie
and Brett Scovil of *********, NV, and Jay and Cheryl Bowen of ********; and
many foster children including Richard and Robyn Engle, Tim Roberts and John
McClean.
    Her grandchildren include Chad Engle, Dee Jackson, Raeleen Becker,
Daeleena Jackson, Mitch Bowen, Mikel Bowen, Tufie McConnell, Marissa Bowen
and Marshall Bowen.  Step grandchildren include Josh Wittman, Lauren Wittman,
Erik Wittman and Alex Wittman, and great grandchildren are Faith, Charitee
and Trevor.
    She is survived also by the hundreds of kids that called her Mom or
Grandma.  She adopted each of them into her very special life and she loved
them dearly just as her own.  They know who they are so a continued list is
unnecessary.
    A college scholarship fund is being created in memory of Sherry "Gramma"
Bowen.
    The family requests all memorials be sent to Kamiah Community Credit
Union at Box 68, Kamiah, ID 83536.
                ~Sweet Home (OR) New Era, November 2002.