[or-roots] Fires near Sisters, OR?

MMDSchwartz at cs.com MMDSchwartz at cs.com
Sun Sep 7 19:59:15 PDT 2003

Earlier today someone mentioned that forest fires are burning near Sisters,
OR.  Does anyone on the list know the precise location of the fires?

I am interested because I'm wondering if my great-grandmother's grave site is
near the path of the fire.  She and her infant are buried beside the Old
Santiam Wagon Road, just east of the summit of Santiam Pass near the Fish Lake
Ranger Station in the Willamette National Forest.  Her name was Charity (Noble)
Marks, and she died there in childbirth while caught in a snowstorm in 1874.

The forest service has maintained Charity's grave, and it is marked with a
roadside historical marker (made of wood).  When my family "discovered" her and
her grave a couple of years ago, we talked about pooling resources to purchase
a metal or stone marker, but we haven't done it yet.  Potential for fire is
the main reason we thought it would be good to do so.

Does anyone on the list live near enough to know if the fires have burned
this precise area?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Marilyn Schwartz