[or-roots] photographs

Diane elder at presys.com
Wed Apr 21 14:44:37 PDT 2004

I want to emphasize this...keep your photographs in a safe and easily
accessed location.  Here were we live, 2 years ago, were devastating forest
fires.  We had to move out rather rapidly.  Thankfully we only lost some
fences and pasture.  Our homes were saved as were all our out buildings.
Our neighbors were not so fortunate  No one lost their home, but there was
not much else left.  Most barns were saved.  The danger was extreme.

When it came time to leave,we had to pull out  FAST, I had my photographs in
different locations.  When we moved back in---they are now in 2 locations.
One by a door.  Once again, we had time to take what we wanted to save.
But, at a time like that, no matter how well you think you are prepared, you
are not.  I like to think I am super organized and can easily put my hand on
anything I want.  Well, that was good for about 50% of the time that day.

I was helping my husband move heavy equipment to help the neighbors when the
fire rapidly advanced to us...I was stuck on the other side of the inferno
and had to drive---at a rather rapid rate, the rig was loaded heavy with
diesel fuel---thro the flames for about a 1/2 mile to get home.  Loving
friends had come into our home, knowing where I was and where my husband
was, and just packed our precious belongings.  Because I had the photographs
in 3 locations then....one was missed.  And this was the 100+ year old
photos.  Most of the very old photographs are identified on my husbands
side...but my side----so many photographs and no names.  I just know they
are relatives.

Today is #65 for me and I am most reminiscent.....thinking of my loving
ancestors.

Diane