[or-roots] Barnes in OR (was Sandy River smelt)

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Fri Jan 16 17:02:43 PST 2004

Okay, I am gonna post this here as I am a little confused whose Barnes is
whose;

				    Marital			   Birth		  Father's    Mother's
 Name  		Relation  Status Gender Race Age place Occupation Birthplace
Birthplace
 Elisha BARNES   	Self   	M    Male     W   53   KY   Liverey Man   VA
KY
 S.T. BARNES   	Wife   	M    Female   W   52   MO      		MO   		MO
 W.C. BARNES   	Son      	     Male     W   28   MO   Stock Raiser  KY
MO
 Jaures M. BARNES Son      	     Male     W   19   CA   Stock Raiser   Y
MO
 Eva BARNES   	Dau   	S    Female   W   13   OR      		KY   		MO
 Rhoda BARNES   	Dau   	S    Female   W    9   OR      		KY   		MO
----
Source Information:
  Census Place Prineville, Wasco, Oregon   Family History Library Film
1255084
  NA Film Number   T9-1084 			 Page Number   292A

Once again this is the infamous online census, but if you need to be more
secure this will show you where to look.

As to where Prineville is, I wouldn't have known it was in Wasco Co, I had
this vague notion that county was somewhere in far NE corner of the state.
Oops, just looked on the current map, Prineville is NOW in Crook county, I
guess here is a good place to discuss changing county boundaries. I know
that over time you can count on that in most any state. Here in Oregon we
started out with something like 4 counties and then changed the boundries
and names every five years or so until somewhere in the twentieth century. I
have some maps of some of those changes somewhere but the point is that
Prineville didn't move, Wasco Co. just got carved up into some smaller
pieces.

To find Prineville, I always get it confused with Chemult which is just east
of the Cascades and rather high up in elevation. Prineville is east of
Redmond and for those that have no reference for that it places Prineville
just a little ways from the geographic center of the state of Oregon. If you
like Juniper trees, dry weather and cold it is a neat place.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?S=14&T=2&lat=44.3&lon=-120.8333

will take you to a topo map; you can zoom in or out, this is an image file
so will load real slow unless you have hi speed internet. On a side note at
16 meter resolution in large map you will see to the NE of town (village?
it's still not a real big place) Barnes Butte. Want to take odds it's named
for Kin?

Gonna leave ya with that cause puter about to crash.

LEs C