[or-roots] Barnes family connection

Penny penny.malmquist at acsalaska.net
Sat Jan 17 17:42:20 PST 2004

Marilyn:

I am one of those anal people who has to be organized cause I started out
doing the same thing as far as making too many copies that I already had.  I
first organized each of my lines by a different color.  Then I start a file
with a family name.  If it is a major family name then I write the surname
followed by birth, census, marriage, land, military, death, group sheets,
correspondence, pictures and miscellaneous.  Then if one of those files gets
too big a create another file by my direct lines name for example: Smith,
John A. or by surname Smith - Census - Oregon.  This helps me stay organized
and keeps me from recopying things.  My correspondence I have a sheet
stapled to the cover that lists the names of those people and addresses that
I correspond with for that particular family.  I also have color-coded
notebooks with summary sheets for each of my categories I.e., birth, census,
etc. that lists everything that I know about anyone of a particular surname
and whether the documentation is in my file.  This sounds like a lot of work
and it is but its nice if you have to recreate any of your trees due to
losing information on your computer or other such things.  It also helps
when if you didn't start documenting your sources of your research in the
beginning to go back and do it now.

Penny in Alaska