[or-roots] Barnes family connection

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Sat Jan 17 16:07:36 PST 2004

We will be euphamistic here since I forgot when I posted this last time it
was addressed to the list rather than just you;

CRS is the acronym for Can't Remember "Stuff" it is a fairly commonly used
term in my family, but then we really loved the joke about the college girl
who came back to the farm and asked her mother to try and get her father to
talk about "fertilizer" instead of referring to it as "manure" and her
mother's response was; "leave well enough alone, girl, it's taken me fifteen
years to get him to say manure!"

As to organizing things. I have a somewhat novel method, I just throw things
in binders sort of by data type, I have "documetns" binder with my birth and
death certs etc, another binder with family trees, and then ther are
specialized binders like the three inch thick one of my maternla gram's line
and some smaller binders like the bio of a late cousin and that sort of
thing.

Another method if you are thorough about collecting info on individuals is
to do like my gen soc pres does; she starts out with a family page and then
all the docs she has on them, pics certs, news items etc, then she goes to
the next family group in that line ad infinitum. She has been very
methodical about collecting docs though, me if I have the info I don't have
any compulsion to order the doc for fifteen dollars or whatever. Except
first couple gens above me. I have a lot of that stuff and some of the odds
and ends most of the family isn't pursuing. We have one of Gram's sisters
who have a lot of descendants and no ONE of them is interested in genelogy!
So I have dug up a lot of their line.

I like your idea though, I could just imagine it, they could send a scout
out and pick their candidats for the show based on how many tons of
documents they have. I have a couple of relatives who are compulsive hard
copy types and print everything they are sent. My file of saved email from
one of them runs almost 400 pages now and that is without enclosures!

Bob and I discussed the possibility that our Chapmans might link. My family
only know back to about 1783 on the Chapman name and that info is very
sketchy.