[or-roots] tact, humor and history

Magbatt at aol.com Magbatt at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 12:07:14 PDT 2004

Hang in there, Nancy.  We get it all.  Actually, these very people who so
like to tickle our funny bones (sometimes not so gently) are also very helpful
when they can be.  I have picked up much information - some direct and some just
general through their stories about my ancestors and their neighbors.

As for the humor, whenever my sisters and I visit the museum at Brownsville
the volunteers always comment that they can tell we are descendants of Capt.
Blakely.  He was known for his sense of humor and his whole bloody family seems
to have been blessed with it.   As you walk in the door, you see on the
opposite wall the large, typically stern portrait of him, but if you check further
you see the one of him with his great-granddaughter (my grandmother) at about
age six standing behind him and wearing his glasses.  You can see the sense of
humor coming through despite his attempt to surpress it for the camera.   The
volunteers say the same thing about one of the other Brownsville family as
well.  (Cooleys?)

What with the D-day anniversary this weekend, I just got done rereading all
the letters my father sent to his mother from England.  They are full of the
thrill of flying, the weariness, the sorrow for those who don't make it home and
the innocent who suffered from the bombs he dropped.  But there was also
humor.  It was the humor that got him through and cemented the bond between him
and his crew.  He earned three Distinguished Flying Crosses and many other
awards, so it must have served him well.

I agree that a bit of tact is sometimes needed here and there, especially on
the sensitive subjects, but sometimes I think we don't realize that we are
sounding harsh.  Maybe it should be tact, humor, history, and tolerance.

Midge