[or-roots] Oregon Geographic names

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Fri Jun 18 08:32:10 PDT 2004

Shows you how bad my memory is, I couldn't remember that had been posted to
the list just a few days ago.

Thank you Diane and all the others who itemized the known Powell person to
Powell place name connections, I am sure somewhere in there Jim or Ray had
kin.

My family has a knob near where I grew up named for My grandfather Chapman.
The USGS folks were out ther in the 1950's clarifying names and he knew a
lot about who what was named for and when so when they had pumped him for
info they wanted to know if they could name something for him. I guess he
said okay, or that he didn't care whichever and they named a knob nearby for
him. Chapman Butte, of course like our contribution to settling oregon it
barely shows on the topo map.

Les Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
---