[or-roots] Covered bridges

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Fri May 21 08:16:34 PDT 2004

Years ago there were many covered bridges in Oregon.  Far too many of them are now history.  The dams on the Santiam River eliminated 2 or 3 of them (at Foster and Quartsville).

My late brother, Doug Houk had a fascination with those bridges.  The pix above is his mail box on 99E in Aurora, OR taken in August, 2000.  I hope it's still there.

Doug also made covered bridge bird feeders, and would have made many more had he not lost his fight with cancer in 1997.  There was one next to his home in Aurora; atop a 10 foot steel pole.  His cat, Ms Dos (who now lives with me), tried many times to jump from the fence to it.  You can see this bird feeder at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cchouk/rulaford/13/bird.jpg

Cecil

Cecil Houk, ET1 USN Ret.
PO Box 530833
San Diego CA 92153
FAX 619-428-6434
mailto:cchouk at cox.net
ANDERSON - BLAKELY - FORD - HOUK - KIMSEY - MOE - RULAFORD - SIMPSON
Searchable GEDCOM: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~cchouk
My web page MENU: http://members.cox.net/~cchouk/