[or-roots] Linn county

kat1928 at integrity.com kat1928 at integrity.com
Tue Nov 23 10:43:11 PST 2004

Quoting kat1928 at integrity.com:

> Quoting Alison Krutsch <alison at krutschfamily.com>:
>
> > Dolores,
> >

> > I was looking at your pioneers and noticed you have some in Linn County
> > and the Willamette Valley.  My sister and I are going out there in April
> > to do some more "hands on" searching and was wondering if you knew of
> > any Powell or Propst sites we should visit.  I realize our direct
> > ancestor Lucinda Powell Propst died and was buried on the trail and
> > Anthony Propst was buried at Foster's farm at the end of the trail, but
> > their children (and my great grandfather) stayed with the surviving
> > Powells Alfred, Noah, and John who stayed in the area.
> >

> > I am just trying to stake out the area and plan my trip before I get
> > there.  Thanks for your help.
> >

> > Ali
>

> Ali;
>
> Please excuse me for breaking into your and Delores's communicarion but I am
> Powell descendent too.
>
> Every year I attend the Powell reunion at Providence Church, south of Scio.
> It
> is Eld.Joab Powell's home church after he came to Oregon.  MOst of the
> Powells
> came to the Scio area in Linn County.  The Scio, Lebanon, Crabtree areas are
> their early homes.
>
> I believe John Powell went to  Prineville area in north central Oregon.
>
> Several places in Portland are named after John Powell.  Powell Butte, Powell
> Blvd.  IThere is another Powell butte close to Hwy 5 that was named after
> John-
> down around Lebanon.
>
> The Oregon Historical Society in Portland is a wealth of information.
>
> There is a museum at the Old Foster farm, rast of Oregon City.
>
> Take Hwy 205 and turn onto Exit for 224 - to Estacada.  Keep going toward
> Estacada ( right at a "V" intersection and light). The Foster Farm is at
> Eagle
> Creek.  I cannot find their phone number.
>
> You might find the museum in Oregon City interesting; End of The Oregon Trail
> Interpretive Center, but not the wealth of information ass the Historical
> Center in Portland.
>
> I don't know where you are comming from but Hwy 5 and 205 are the main routes
> in
> the Willamette Valley.
>
> Have a good trip and I hope you "dig up" many ancestors.
>
> Dorothy Webb
> kat1928 at integrity.com

Eli; I just read my message to you.  I am so sorry I didn't check my spelling
before sending the message; I usually do but I am in the "Thanksgiving Flurry".

I really made some BAD bo-boos!   Sorry; I don't use bad language.

There is an elderly Probst lady and her daughter who come to the Powell
reunions.
They are the few besides myself that are descended from Joab's son Joab, Jr.

I may be able to get you some more information on the Probsp family before you
come in April.  Right now, the holidays have me quite busy.

Keep in touch, maybe I can be of help.

Dorothy Webb

kat1928 at integrity.com