[or-roots] Genealogy and security

CKlooster at aol.com CKlooster at aol.com
Tue Nov 30 19:40:32 PST 2004

There have always been genealogical exploiters, but the Internet compounds
the problem and makes it more visible.  Back in the days when genealogy was
conducted in person or by mail, there was always a delicate negotiation
regarding data..."willing to share" was an offer with the implicit understanding
"you show me yours and I'll show you mine".  There were even in those days,
people who wanted a peak at "yours" without giving you a peak at "theirs"...or
those who professed a willingness to share, but once they had your data, seemed
to forget your address.  But for everyone of those who didn't play fair,
there were dozens who went above and beyond to help find illusive  ancestors.
I've had people send me family Bibles and other valuable family  papers and
photographs to copy and who trusted me to return them.  As a  result, I've always
been willing to share with other researchers.  My  irritation is with the
companies who have gathered family data from willing  donors, and have in turn
sold the access to that data...and the cost of access  is far more than I believe
it should be.

I also have gripe with the "geezer collectors".  An example of this in  my
own family is a very distant relative who made contact with my father.   My dad
has never had an interest in genealogy, but he did have files of my  research
that I'd downloaded on his computer on the off-chance that the family  history
might interest him.  He, without a second thought, passed  my research on to
this woman and they began a brisk and cordial internet  correspondence.  To my
irritation, this was the same woman that I had  e-mailed several times and
received no response...probably because  I expressed an interest in sharing data
and clearly her interest was not in  sharing, but in gathering.  Shortly
after my dad gave her my research,  I found it posted on several "for pay"
sites...and I knew it was mine because it  contained several errors that I had not
had a chance to correct on his  computer!

But, I refuse to let a few bad apples spoil my climb up the apple  tree!  The
Internet has been far more of a blessing than a  curse for me, and for
genealogists in general.  I get somewhat of  a kick out of looking at various
versions of some of my family lines found  here and there online.  I can usually
tell the ones that I've  contributed to by some of the obscure facts included.
Old-time  map makers used to put in a bogus city here and there as a copyright
mechanism.  This seems like a good idea for genealogists who want to  trace
the journey of their files on line!

Carla