[or-roots] Missing Cow Creeks

CKlooster at aol.com CKlooster at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 14:35:03 PDT 2004

Hi Les and Others...

My sister and I copied and photographed the Rondeau Cemetery on the old
Vernie Lerwill place above Tiller last summer and I sent copies to you, I think,
and to other interested people on this list.  There was a big fire that
burned down from Bland Mt.  and across the valley below this summer,  but I don't
know if the Bland Mt. cemetery was disturbed either.  It is a  different
cemetery than the Milo/Lavadour Cemetery.  I grew up in the  Canyonville-Days Creek
area and married a guy whose family have been residents  of Drew since the
early 1900's.  I've been collecting local  history...including family
histories...of the Tiller, Drew, Days Creek, and  Canyonville areas for years, and spent
many hours listening to and writing down  the stories of various old-timers of
the area including my former husband's  father, uncles, and grandfather.  I
was fortunate in knowing many of the  older people who were also interested in
the local history and some had  family roots going back to the first white
settlers of the area.  I would  have to agree with at least some of what Aloaha
A. wrote...at least it matches  the things I heard from oldtimers.  There was a
general agreement that  there was not a large number of Indian people in the
area when the first  settlers came there, but that relations between the first
settlers and the  Indian people were generally amicable...until the trouble
down on the Rogue  River between the miners and the Indians.  If you read the
first-hand  accounts by Riddle, it details the removal of the Cow Creek band of
Umpqua to  the reservation at Grande Ronde where most of them died from the
disease  caused by overcrowding and generally horrible conditions.   While it
may be possible that some of those people did hide away, I don't think they
are  the same people as those who now call themselves Cow Creek Indians.  The
current "tribe" was actually named a "historic successor tribe" by the federal
government when they were seeking recognition from the federal government in
the  1960's/1970's.  This was in response to the Bureau of Indian Affairs
assertion that none of the people seeking federal tribal recognition were
actually descended from the Cow Creek band of the Umpquas.  Politics aside,  history
needs to be recorded as accurately as possible.  I've found quite a  few of
the family members in census records, but it is true that some of them do
disappear from Douglas Co...or else they haven't yet appeared there.  That  is
kind of the point...they aren't in the census of Douglas Co. because they are
living elsewhere, such as in K. Falls.  I don't know what the great  attraction
was in that area, but I do know that some of the guys from  Tiller-Drew went
to Lakeview during the 1930's to work in the woods and at a  sawmill there and
my former hustand's uncle talked for working in a mill near  Klamath Falls
(which would have been in the late 1930's or early 1940's.

Anyway, I'd be interested in a list of who you could not find.  I  started
looking at these census records years ago when I was putting together  family
information for my nieces and nephew who are descended from the Rondeau  family.
 I might have some pieces to your puzzle.

I'd be happy to exchange information with anyone interested.

Carla

STEPHENS, HAWLEY, WHEALDON, and SHIELDS in Oregon and  Washington.