[or-roots] Missing Cow Creeks

Nancy Lee Adams nancydean at columbia-center.org
Thu Oct 21 16:14:07 PDT 2004

 Hi,

This may not be what you are all looking for, But thought I would share.

I bought my brother-in-law a book named: "History of Early Days in Oregon"
by Glenn N. Riddle. It was put out by:
The Riddle Parent-Teacher association. This Book was first printed in the
Riddle Enterprise as a series of Articles; and it was later published in
Pamphlet form, from the same type and distributed in 1922. Reset and
reprinted in 1948 by the Myrtle Creek Mail for the Riddle Parent Teacher
Association. The Riddles, Stephens, Briggs and many others are my
brother-in-laws family.

Some of the Original Pioneer families (crossed in 1851)...Book has real
stories about are:
W.F. Briggs & families / Samuel Briggs / Mr. Isaac Constant, crossed in 1848
/ Elijah & Erastus Hill / Mrs. Elzie Logsdon / Chapmans / I.B. Nichols / J.
A. Worthington(east of Canyonville) / Charles W. Beckwith(of New York state)
/ Baron Munchausen / "Sandy" Yoakum, Owner of the Ferry / Stephen Hussey /
Weaver / Jim Catching / Raymonds / Tabitha Brown / Onna Hall / John Hall /
Lucinda McGill / Campbell Crismen / John Bouseman / Jesse Roberts / Mrs.
Cyrus Russel / John Arzner / I can go on & on with names, just full of our
Pioneer families.
Here is a few paragraphs from this book mentioned above: Mr. Riddle is
telling his own story, that he experienced himself.
Jesse Roberts was a man of great energy and ability, but with out education.
He moved from Polk County Oregon, early in the spring of 1851 settling where
we found him, at Roberts Creek. He had brought with him five hundred herd of
Spanish cattle. These cattle were wild & fierce. So much, that is was
dangerous for a man to appear among them, though they were easily managed on
horseback, as they seemed to be trained to go to the corral when started
from the range. There appeared to be an old cow that would take the lead. I
have seen Roberts two sons, George and Nels, aged about twelve and fifteen,
on there ponies, start several hundred head of these cattle from there range
around Green's station, head them for there corral two miles up Roberts
Creek, all going on the run fairly making the earth shake.
When we arrived at the Roberts place we were treated with the greatest
kindness by Mr. Roberts. We were furnished all the fresh & dried beef we
could use, free of cost. This was a great treat to hungary emigrants,
especially the dried beef to us boys. The dried beef was cured by cutting
the meat in strips, salted, then hung on ropes & dried in the sun, perhaps
aided by fire & smoke.
Mr . Roberts persuaded my father to abandone his plans of going to the
Willamette valley for the winter, but to leave the family in camp near his
place & go on with the ox teams for supplies, which he did and on returning,
we returned to what was afterwards our home at Glenbrook farm__The first
donation land claim located in Cow Creek Valley.
In the next Chapter, Mr. Riddle goes on to tell of his first meeting  with "
MI-WU-LETA ", Chief of the Cow Creek Indians.
It brings out in his first account of The Cow Creek Indians in October 1851.
The nearest house to the Riddle family was Wm. Weaver's house, Eight miles
nearer Myrtle creek & Canyonville, Where Joe Knott was located, and which
was the frontier house in southern Oregon, not a house south of that in the
territory.
But in the next paragraph it starts to read how the Riddle family got to
there location at there Glenbrook land donation claim and in a very short
time, the Indians started coming into the camp as they were curious. Old
Squaws, papooses, and all came to the number of a hundred or more.
So we at least know that in: 1851 there was at least,  100+  Indians living
in the Area of Canyonville, OR.

I also have a copy of the Original book. Many, many pioneer families in this
book dating back: abt: 1839 onwards.  Excellent reading.

Nancy L. Adams
nancydean at columbia-center.org