[or-roots] Daniel Ryan - Josephine Co. obit

Sue Steward ssteward at ccountry.net
Mon Aug 8 12:18:02 PDT 2005

The newspaper in Grants Pass is the Grants Pass Courier.  They have been publishing since 1885 so this might be an option to have someone there do research for you.  Since you know the date of the incident, the cost for research might not be too great.

ARCHIVE SEARCH is available through the newsroom library. There is a charge of $20.00 per hour for the service, plus .50 for each 8-1/2"x 11" photo copy. Copies are from microfilm. Contact the library by e-mail at librarian at thedailycourier.com.

FYI
April 3, 1935 (Golden Anniversary edition) at that time called Grants Pass Courier. The item was written by Amos Voorhies who was the owner of the publication

COURIER HAD SIX OWNERS SIX YEARS

Newspapers in the early day of Grants Pass had a precarious existence.

The first newspaper to be published in the town was the Argus, a four page sheet, pages 6x8 inches, and printed one page at a time on a small hand press. Its first issue was dated March 13, 1885. Dr. Keeler Gabbert was its publisher and he was able to issue it at irregular intervals or several months.

The first issue of the Grant's Pass Courier (the apostrophe was then used in the name of  the city) appeared only three weeks after the Argus was started, and was dated April 3, 1885. J.H. Stine was its founder and he continued publication until June 4, 1886, when J.W. Wimer's name appeared as a partner of Stine under the firm name of Wimer and Stine, which partnership continued for one month, until July 2,

Mr. Wimer changed the name of the paper to the Rogue River Courier.

Mr Stine had started a half dozen or more country newspapers in various parts of the state. He was shot and instantly killed near McMinnville while on a spree, some years previous to 1898.

The Courier had no less than six owners and publishers in the first six years of its existence. The sixth owner published it for seven years.

The Courier publishers have been:

       1885    J.H. Stine
      1886    W.J. Wimer
      1887    A.a. Allworth & Co.
     1888    Frank T. Sheppard
       1889    George H. Currey
        1890    Jerry Nunan
     1897    Price & Voorhies
        1899    Amos E. Voorhies*  --- to date
  *This has been a family owned newspaper since 1899.