[or-roots] emigrant diaries

Bob Gilliland bobg at bmi.net
Mon Aug 8 14:30:14 PDT 2005

Trisha Neal wrote:

> */The Grande Ronde Valley and Blue Mountains: Impressions and
> Experience of Travelers and Emigrants, The Oregon Trail, 1812-1880/,"
> a report by Stephen Dow Beckham for the Wallowa-Whitman National
> Forest, La Grande, Oregon.  February 16, 1991.  Beckham found his
> resources from historical societies, libraries and archives from
> Oregon, California, Washington, Indiana and Connecticut.   There are
> hundreds of entries in the report. I only posted a few of them on
> the **Umatilla County History web site that did years ago.  *
> **
> *http://gesswhoto.com/um-oregon-trail.html*
> **
> *There is a Bibliography in the book.  I don't know if the USFS had
> more copies printed or not. I managed to get their last copy but I no
> longer have it. I gave it to a friend so I am not able to do any look
> ups. You might check to see if there are copies available through
> Inter-Library Loan.*
> **
> *Trish*
> *Coos Bay*

The Bibliography in the publication referred to by Trish lists the
following diaries from travellers of 1852

Conyers, E. W.
1906    Diary of E. W. Conyers, a Pioneer of 1852. Oregon Pioneer
Association Transactions, 33rd Reunion, 1905, pp. 423-512.

Fox, Jared
1852    Diary Transcript, Mss 2708, Oregon Historical Society,
Portland, Ore.

Kerns, John T.
1917    Journal of Crossing the Plains to Oregon in 1852, Oregon
Pioneer Association Transactions, 42nd Reunion, 1914, pp. 148-193.

McAllister, John
1925    Diary of Rev. John McAllister, a Pioneer of 1852. Oregon
Pioneer Association Transactions, 50th Reunion, 1922, pp. 471-308.

Sharp, Mrs. Cornelia A.
1904    Diary of Mrs. Cornelia A. Sharp: Crossing the Plains from

Missouri to Oregon in 1852. Oregon Pioneer Association Transactions,
31st Reunion, 1903, pp. 171-188.

Scott, Abigail Jane
1986    Journal of a Trip to Oregon. Covered Wagon Women, Kenneth
Holmes, ed. Arthur H. Clark Company, Glendale, Calif., 5:21-172.

Moreland, Rev. Jesse
1852    Diary, MSss 1508, Oregon Historical Society, Portland, Ore.

Rudd, Lydia A.
1852 Journal of Overland Journey to Oregon. Item 135, Microfilm 11,
Oregon State Library, Salem, Ore.

Aiken, James, Jr.
1909    Diary of James A[i)ken, Jr. Oregon Pioneer Association
Transactions, 36th Reunion, 1908, pp. 259-274.

Read, Martha S.
1986    'A History of Our Journey.' Covered Wagon Women, Kenneth L.
Holmes, ed. Arthur H. Clark Company, Glendale, Calif.,

McAllister, John
1925    Diary of Rev. John McAllister, a Pioneer of 1852. Oregon
Pioneer Association Transactions, 50th Reunion, 1922, pp. 471-308.

Lewis, John Newton
1936    Diary of Travel from Indiana to Oregon. Typescript, Library of
Congress, Washington, D. C.

Bob Gilliland (the friend who now has the book)
bobg at bmi.net