[or-roots] emigrant diaries

Chris jchavnar at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 8 17:00:32 PDT 2005

I am fortunate in that my husbands family has the words from his
g-g-g-grandmother Charlotte Pengra (Mrs. Bynon J. Pengra) and her sister
Velina Williams of their travels in 1853.  They started the trip together,
but somewhere in the beginning one party went ahead and the parties crossed
separately.

Velina's work was printed in the Forty-seventh Annual Reunion of the Oregon
Pioneer Association on pages 175 -240, but her words are quoted in many
compilations of women's dairies  some of them can be found below:

http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Wonder.html
http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Animals.html
http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Daily/04.html
http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Daily/05.html
http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Daily/07.html
http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Daily/08.html
http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Sunbonnets.html
http://www.muskingum.edu/~rmunkres/life/Daily/End.html
http://home.netcom.com/~symbios/ohs53.html

Charlotte Emily Stearns Pengra's Diary was reproduced by The Lane County
Pioneer-Historical.  My copy was the Second Printing in 1966.  On the web
some of her words can be found here:
http://egov.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/SSB/Oregon_Trail.shtml
http://www.nps.gov/whmi/educate/ortrtg/ortrtg4.htm
http://tomlaidlaw.com/otkiosks/otcc/snake.html

A good book of compilations of the trip is:
Women’s Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel

I got my copy a couple of years ago, used from one of the major book
re-sellers

Hope this helps you some,
Chris