[or-roots] Speaking of the navy.

dgoodma02 at comcast.net dgoodma02 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 11:47:01 PST 2005

In 1971 I was Staff Weather Officer to the 25 Air Division, Located at McChord AFB, near Tacoma WA.  I still don't remember how we got word of this but we were informed that a Navy Corvette was headed out of the Straits of Juan de Fuca to re Supply the Weather Ship "Pappa" in the Gulf of Alaska.  At that time we were watching a large storm develop in the Gulf of Alaska. (Some of the biggest and Strongest non Tropical Storms form there)
We were sure that winds would be over Hurricane Force and Seas 40 to 60 foot.right where the Navy ship ( a Corvette) was headed.
The 25 th Air Division had tremendous Communications Capability, so I advised the 25Air Division Commander of the risk to the navy Ship.
He authorized us to contact the Navy Shiip and advise them that they were headed into a very dangerous Storm and to return to Base.
Some how the Skipper of the Corvette managed to get turned around and fought his was back to Puget Sound.
After the ship returned I got a call from the Skipper of the Corvette. He thanked us for the help, invited some of us to visit the Corvette at Bremerton and told me that we had  "saved his butt". The Corevette had taken considerable damage and required a very large overhaul.  We visited the Ship and had Cookies and Coffee and were thanked again by the Skipper.
See,  The Air Forece does Cooperate with the other Services!

--
Bob Goodman
USAF Retired