[or-roots] Where are the McVays?

Sue Steward ssteward at ccountry.net
Mon Jan 17 21:05:31 PST 2005

About the right age for your John but it doesn't quite fit the census info.

"Pioneer History of Coos and Curry Counties" Orville Dodge, Historian

McVay, John was born in Ireland, June 23, 1833, and came to Curry Co., OR in
1870 and settled near Gold Beach.  His wife's maiden name was Mary A.
McCreery, born in Ireland in 1849. and they have four children.  Mr McVay is
a stone and brick mason, but has a ranch also.

"Pistol river and Hunter's creek, south of Gold Beach, afford considerable
bottom lands, which are fertile, but the whole country is more suitable for
stock raising, than other purposes. ... The Cooleges and McVeys and others
have excellent farms in this locality. ..."

Sue