[or-roots] Photographs already on the web

DanM wb at valiant.wvi.com
Tue Jun 28 09:07:36 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "W David Samuelsen" <dsam at sampubco.com>
To: <or-roots at sosinet.sos.state.or.us>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: [or-roots] Photographs already on the web

> That is up to them. And they don't have information on SAME page as the
photo.

> Some entries have no photos at all.
>
> They don't websize the photos, taking longer to download.
>
> Multiple places for photos, lessen the risk of loss.
>
> David Samuelsen
===========================>>

Its not the size of the photo,it is the compression
   A digital picture don't have to be downsized till its a thumbnail to be
web fast.
   My small picture page loads instantly
http://www.angelfire.com/or/matney/picturepage.html
   A I made a template for the new pages that show all the pictures the same
size using the display in certain pixels, then people can click the picture,
save it and have the full sized readable. I have pictures that print 5x7
nicely only using 24 kb but downsizing a picture to that it will not be
useable, difference in downsizing and compression, if I was to use my
smallest setting on my camera, they would be un resizable thumbnails. I have
been playing with digital pictures since digital cameras first came out,
been a lot of changes in things we can do. How ever some photo editing from
prog to prog are also not a good thing because they are not always
compatible in what they do to a picture, if some one is using some prg not
compatible to re work pictures on this website,others may find the pictures
useless.  For one I would never use Adobe for any thing because I went past
it as not liking it, how ever others do. Who knows maybe photo paint or
paintshop pro or infanview might not be able to load some changes, so prg
compatibility needs studied before making a universal website, it has to be
fully compatible, or just use the pictures as the cameras or scanners
smaller settings and use a general pixel display and let the people who
download them edit them.
    With most computers, speed is not a problem any more , I use a 1 gig on
DSL and have no problems so I would figure most are faster than me, my
wife's 766 and my sons 350 also have no problems, of course if you have a
133 with 32 mg ram, we cant just write the site to make you load faster l;0)
Dan M
www.wvi.com/~wb