[or-roots] Attn Kin of Oregon State Hospital deceased

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue Jun 28 16:11:03 PDT 2005

Sorry I did not make that clear in the subject line, I was unaware of the
existence of a "Salem Hospital" as any reference to a "Salem Hospital" when
I was growing up meant just one thing; the state mental hospital. Since I am
reposting this I will add the other info that turned up today about this
service.

Tuesday June 28 2005 Register Guard D5

Relatives seeking ashes or information should call the hospital's medical
records director, Joni DeTrant, (503) 945-2976. She will ask for a certified
copy of the death certificate, which is available from the state Department
of Human Services and proof of family ties. The death certificate will be
returned to the family.

>snip
You will also need a DHS Form 2099 (Authorization For Use and Disclosure)
which can be downloaded from the DHS web site (http://egov.oregon.gov/DHS).

And good luck. This only applies to patients who died after 1913. The ashes
of 1539 patients who died at the hospital between 1883 and 1913 have been
lost.

Ben Tabler
<snip

Please apologize to her for me for the deluge this will probably rain down
on her head.

Also please note there is controversey over whether you can receive anything
for folks who died prior to 1913/1914

Les Chapman