[or-roots] NARA MILITARY RECORDS

kat1928 at integrity.com kat1928 at integrity.com
Tue Jun 28 18:38:14 PDT 2005

Quoting CKlooster at aol.com:

> Several years ago I was assisting a disabled WWII veteran who needed   a copy
> of his discharge papers to be eligible for VA medical treatment.   After
> completing and submitting a lengthy application form, the response was  that
> his
> files were destroyed in a fire at the military records  center.  So it would
> seem that at least some military records from the WWII  era are not
> available.
> It would be interesting to know how many are  affected.  It would also be
> interesting to know why there seem to be so  many fires in archives and
> records
> centers!
>
> Carla

Dear Carla;

I have wondered the same thing.  There were some fires that wiped records out
but it seems that when someone doesn't want to take the time to help, they use
the "fire" excuse.  A shame.  I hope your friend found some record that he had
been in the service and he got his deserved treatment.

Dorothy Webb