[or-roots] fried apples

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sun Oct 2 07:12:56 PDT 2005

Cecil;

Was one of the ways you ate fried apples, with onions, that was how my folks
liked them, me I hated onions so it wasn't much of a meal, if I could choke
down a helping I was lucky. Maybe my finicky eating habits were why I was a
runt until my sophmore year in high school?

You all talking about running water reminded me that as back up at the cabin
we had a spring about fifty feet from the outhouse location by the line
fence. I look at that distance now and considering the grade from the
outhouse to the spring was nearly flat, even though the outhouse was further
down the drainage makes me wonder how safe that spring was.

Of course the fact the spring box was even with the creek bottom and anytime
it rained enough to run over the surface, which in the hardpan clay soil we
had was any significant rainstorm, made that spring pretty dicey anyway. But
it wasn't until we had a mole in our spring that ran to the house that we
realized just how dicey, ever since the mole we have carried drinking water
from other houses or town on the premise that the other peoples springs are
"safer" than ours, but my little bro doesn't even drink his spring water. Of
course siince it comes of a Weyerhauser clear cut he probably shouldn't.

Last time we were together my surviving sis talked about how nice the
outhouse was because you didnt have to close the curtain while taking care
of business, you could just enjoy the scenary and one time a rattlesnake
slithered by while she was sitting there. She got done real fast.