[or-roots] genealogical gold mine

CKlooster at aol.com CKlooster at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 13:56:26 PDT 2005

You're right, Les...these books are extremely helpful, especially for  people
just starting to look at their family history.  The entries not only  provide
straight data, but there are also clues in terms of relationships
(sometimes) in the names of those individuals who were listed as  witnesses.  I bought
the set quite a few years ago from the Portland  Genealogical Forum...back in
the day before "online".  Publications such as  these were crucial to research
prior to the Internet...and bless the people who  painstakingly extracted this
data by hand...and typed it all out for us.   The books were not hugely
expensive at the time I bought them, and considering  all the effort that went into
them, I feel strongly that royalties should accrue  to people who produced
them.  I haven't looked recently, but the  Genealogical Forum used to hae quite
a number of equally helpful publications,  inlcuding cemetery, marriage,
birth, and death records from selected  areas.  Might still be worth checking that
out!

Carla